Workout Updates and Upcoming Race

>> Saturday, April 05, 2008

First, I have some people to apologize to:

If you were walking, running, biking, or driving down Summit Avenue this morning, I’m very sorry you had to see my pale, hairy chest. It was a HOT morning (49 degrees [shut up, that’s HOT here]), and I was running a fast 14 mile run - my long run for the week. Apparently, when it breaks 40 degrees, I start to burn up. I nearly had my shirt off 4 miles into my run, but I didn’t want to seem like a jerk. So I held off until I had about 4 miles left, and then it just HAD to come off. I’m sorry if I blinded you. So sorry.

My run was strong. I ran the first 7 in 50:44, and I ran the second half in 45:57 for a total of 1:36:41 for 14 miles (6:54 / mile). Good pace and nice negative split. I felt strong and the run felt great (I mean, it hurt - but it was a good hurt).

I brought along a PowerGel in my Under Armour shorts, and it lodged itself nicely in my thigh. I ate the gel with about 5 miles left. When I got home, I found out that the gel-pac rubbed a bit on my leg:


Oops. I’ll chalk that up as “lesson learned”

My speed work has been going well, too. I HATE running intervals, but I still look forward to running them and seeing what I can do.

All of this training is for Grandmas Marathon in June. I think it’s time to layout my goal. So here it is: qualify for Boston (sub 3:10). There. I said it. I’d love to break 3 hours, but that’s a little lofty. Breaking 3:10 is what I’m training towards.


In other news, I have just officially register for a race that I was born to run. Blogger buddy Danielle in Iowa told me about the Doughnut Run in Ames Iowa in 8 days (next Sunday).



Listen to this, and tell me that this race wasn’t MADE for me: it’s a 5K run that has multiple stops where you can choose to stop and eat Krispy Kreme Doughnuts. Each doughnut you eat subtracts time from your overall race time. But it only counts if you don’t barf before you finish. Danielle joked that I could be the first to post a negative time, being I’m speedy and I like food (have you heard me rant about Chipotle, Pizza, York Peppermint Patties, and any kind of meat?)



Ames is a 3 hour drive ONE WAY, but I don’t care. I’ll be leaving home at 5 am for the 9 am start, running the race and loading up on doughnuts, and then I’ll drive 3 hours back to St. Paul. AND I’ll get to hang out with some bloggers while I’m down there, so it should be a great day!

I guess that poses this question: is 6 hours too far to drive for a 5K? I don't think so.

37 comments:

Danielle in Iowa in Ireland 5:01 PM, April 05, 2008  

I don't think so!

Glad to hear you are coming down!

It's going to be good times!

SWTrigal 5:01 PM, April 05, 2008  

Doughnut run seems like an oxymoron to me..sounds like fun though!

teacherwoman 5:25 PM, April 05, 2008  

6 hours is most definitely not too far to drive for a 5K! Sounds like a good time!

Anonymous,  5:36 PM, April 05, 2008  

I'm sorry, this is the most random post and I don't mean to be annoying since I lurk but don't comment often...but I think you're my age...doesn't that mean Boston is 3:10?

have fun with the doughnuts. no, it's not too far to drive, esp when there is a good reason (ie. doghnuts and bloggers).

Dana 6:41 PM, April 05, 2008  

6 hours is never too far to drive for doughnuts(especially Krispy Kreme). And you throw a 5k in there for fun? Go for it Steve!

Unknown 7:32 PM, April 05, 2008  

I would drive that far for a doughnut run. Nice job on the 14 miles!

Donald 8:00 PM, April 05, 2008  

6 hours for a 5K: yes, too far. 6 hours for a 5K and doughnuts: definitely!

monica 10:04 PM, April 05, 2008  

DOOOOD!! pharmie has GOT to steal that macro lens away from you!!

donut run = MOST DEFINITELY

plus, i don't think a krispy kreme would chafe your thigh like that power gel did. maybe experiment with that on your mid-week runs. stuff a kripsy kreme down your tighties and then bust out the macro lens again.

Molly 10:31 PM, April 05, 2008  

That 5K makes me smile...I would probably barf!
Take Care

Spokane Al 10:54 PM, April 05, 2008  

I am glad to hear that they will be providing the donuts. I don't think I would want to see the pictures if you had to pack them in your Under Armour shorts.

brendaj 11:09 PM, April 05, 2008  

Yum, I had Chipotle for dinner. I don't think it's too far to drive for a yummy race like that.

CoachLiz 11:23 PM, April 05, 2008  

Now if you really want donuts, here in H-town we have El Tour de Donut bike ride in the fall. Same concept as the run but you bike on this one.

I have not brought myself to do this ride but I know a lot of my cycle buddies who would not miss it for the world.

Wedgie 12:19 AM, April 06, 2008  

Isn't anyone else disturbed by the photo? PLEASE at least tell us it's the OUTER thigh!

David 7:20 AM, April 06, 2008  

6 hours for Krispy Kreme Doughnuts? Only if they are warm

sRod 7:27 AM, April 06, 2008  

Donuts and running?! They need one of those races around here!

Marcy 8:24 AM, April 06, 2008  

Dude at least that baby wasn't rubbing the wedding tackle.

triguyjt 12:37 PM, April 06, 2008  

6 hour drive.. gas cost 65$
race entry fee 25$
Unlimited donuts priceless

steve---you really can go sub 3:10... i would be very surprised if you did not...

kick butt in the donut run...
don't barf

Black Knight 12:43 PM, April 06, 2008  

Thanks for visiting my blog. The distances are only an opinion. In Italy if you drive 6 hours you "visit" half country. Good luck for your marathon goal.

Jamie 2:19 PM, April 06, 2008  

I agree with KT. TIME TO SHAVE. You can't use the weather excuse if you are running shirtless now.

I just looked and Boston is 21 hours away from Ames, IA. Unfortunately way too far on my end. I TOTALLY need to find a race like that near me.

In college, I was known to be able to put down a dozen on my own. I could SO pull off a negative time :-)

Smithers 3:58 PM, April 06, 2008  

I went to school at ISU and this run is perfect! If you feel like eating lunch (which you won't) you should definitely stop for some Great Plains pizza. Its completely worth it (maybe not after ingesting 2 dozen Krispy Kremes, though).

Good news, KK's don't have any trans fats anymore!

LittleRachet 4:07 PM, April 06, 2008  

This race is a fundraiser for the ISU Tri Club. I think it's great that you are making the trip to our area!

Danielle 4:56 PM, April 06, 2008  

Wow...6 hours for a 5K...hey, why not? I've had chafing from gels before too. Not fun. Great job on the speedy run...I'm in awe!! My goal is for a BQ at Twin Cities...

Laurie 5:13 PM, April 06, 2008  

I guess I will have to get my butt out of bed next Sunday and cheer you on!

Unknown 7:13 PM, April 06, 2008  

a donut 5k - how funny!! i think that would actually make me sick.

Michelle 7:21 PM, April 06, 2008  

A gel pack in your shorts?! What are you thinking!

3:10 for Grandma's. I love it. You can do it! Holy cats you're fast!

Brian 7:52 PM, April 06, 2008  

You should be able to hit that 3:10.

As for the run how do you train for that? I want to see higdin's training plan for that race. And if you don't succeed keeping the donuts down, please don't post that pic.

MissAllycat 10:01 PM, April 06, 2008  

I went to ISU - sounds like a fun race!! Wish I could be there. Good luck!

MtngirlinCali 11:54 PM, April 06, 2008  

I am so jealous.....I heard about that race this week. My husband says it's the only thing that could possibly compel him to enter a race and actually try to run. :) I wish you gastrointestinal fortitude next weekend.

Taconite Boy 6:11 AM, April 07, 2008  

No way! 6 hrs is totally worth peeps and krispies.

Bigun 6:27 AM, April 07, 2008  

That race needs to be series and come to florida! Only chance I have of ever beating you on a run...oh, yea, baby, it' would be sooooo on!

Smithposts... 8:00 AM, April 07, 2008  

Oh Krispy Kremes! It is so worth a 6 hour drive.

Anonymous,  10:59 AM, April 07, 2008  

I've heard of this race! Now this is definitely something I could do!!

Sounds like a blast...have fun :)

Kim 12:05 PM, April 07, 2008  

please throw up and take pictures

Kellye Mills 12:15 PM, April 07, 2008  

That sounds like so much fun!! Don't know if I could do that... think I would totally throw up before the end, but think it would be fun to try!! I'd go 6 hours for it! Can't wait to hear how it turns out!

Cy 8:27 AM, April 11, 2008  

ISU-6 hours is definitely worth it! Go Cyclones :-)

ShesAlwaysWrite 4:02 PM, April 12, 2008  

I wonder if they stole the idea from the Tour de Donut bike race we've got goin on in southern Illinois? : )

(I totally overheat on runs when it's over 40 degrees too. Nice to know I'm not a total freak.)

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.