T-Minus 4 Days to the HOT Triathlon

>> Tuesday, July 11, 2006

All of the local TV stations are telling me that it will be 99 – 101 degrees on Saturday! Who ordered that? I sure didn’t! I didn’t sign up to do a triathlon in Central America! This is Minneapolis, for Pete’s sake! This is crazy! The Cities haven’t hit 100 degrees since 1995, and now the first 100+ day since then plans on stopping by as I do my first triathlon? Crap, I’m going to die.



Here are my predictions for the Triathlon (these are for perfect conditions, meaning 65 degrees and calm [which won't happen]):

What would
be super:

What I'm
hoping for:

What would be
disappointing:
Swim: 32 minsSwim: 42 minsSwim: 52 mins
Trans 1: 1.5 minsTrans 1: 2.5 minsTrans 1: 3.5 mins
Bike: 1 hr 16 minsBike: 1 hr 25 minsBike: 1 hr 32 mins
Trans 2: 1 minTrans 2: 2 minsTrans 2: 3 mins
Run: 49 minsRun: 55 minsRun: 62 mins
Total:
2 hrs 39.5 mins
Total:
3 hrs 6.5 mins
Total:
3 hrs 32.5 mins


But it’s supposed to be hot, so I guess we’ll see how I do. Stupid weather - what have you ever done for me?

Notes-to-self about the race:

• Just get through the swim. I won’t be fast, but that’s fine. I need to stay calm and not overdo it.
• DO NOT go out too fast in the bike. Stay easy and smooth for the first 3 miles, and then rock it from mile 11-21. Roll in at the end and get ready to run.
• Simply get through the run. Simple as that.

5 comments:

RobbyB 2:38 PM, July 11, 2006  

Yikes! That's scaring me for my race the next week.

Whenever it gets that hot, all my time goals go out the window and a 'just finish' rule is the only thing that applies. I would try to get out in the heat as much as possible next week to get as acclimated as possible.

E-Speed 2:42 PM, July 11, 2006  

the super looks eerily like what I did at Chicago last year. I hope you rock it!

Steve Stenzel 8:51 PM, July 11, 2006  

Rob, "Just Finish" is my new goal. And Elizabeth, I'm so pissed that my "What would be super" category is like a walk in the park for you. You both rock!

E-Speed 8:52 PM, July 11, 2006  

Yeah but Chicago is fast and flat! And weather was perfect! You are going to do great! Just make sure you don't eat a klondike bar first or take any caffeine during the tri!

teacherwoman 5:08 PM, July 12, 2006  

Good luck on your tri...I am sure you will do just fine!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.