Knee Pain - No Issue

>> Thursday, August 23, 2018

A few weeks before the MDRA 15K, I started having some slight knee pain. It was similar to what I had a year or 2 ago. I wasn't too worried. I checked the milage on my shoes, and I realized it was QUITE high: 480 miles! I usually like to get 300-400 miles on a pair of shoes. So I got a new pair of shoes ASAP (they ended up with 493 miles on them), and booked an appointment with my favorite chiropractor.

Dr. Backus (yes, his name is "Backus" and he's a chiro) poked around and ruled out anything bad. Basic tendonitis he thinks. He loosened things up with Graston, told me to keep doing what I'm doing regarding stretching and foam rolling, and taped me up even though I'm hairy:


Not helping a TON through the hair.


A more subtle tape job on a follow-up.
(Sitting by the pool last week as the boys had swim lessons!)

I have an appointment for next week after my race to (hopefully) be the final "loosening up."

SIDENOTE: I know a chiro isn't the BEST person to see for these things, but he's smart, in-network, and he's able to look over these small things well. Bigger issues take me to Dr. Folske who has more experience with athletes, but is out-of-network and farther away. Even bigger issues would take me to a sports med doc. But "aches" like this are things Backus can work out well! (And rule out the bigger/scarier things to put my mind at ease.)

3 comments:

SteveQ 11:26 AM, August 23, 2018  

I have 6500 miles on my current running shoes (replacing tomorrow). My record is over 25000 on one pair!

Steve Stenzel 8:23 PM, August 23, 2018  

SteveQ, I'll add this to my list of reasons to never take running advice from you.

drdave 12:36 PM, August 24, 2018  

Shave those stumps! Tapes not doing diddly without. I'd have shaved you on the spot and I would have made you do it like Rambo. Dry! Just sayin..

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.