Did you hear about the one where someone tried to steal from a triathlete?....

>> Sunday, May 08, 2011

You've heard me mention local pro triathlete David Thompson (DKT) before. I was able to see him and cheer him on at Rev3 Cedar Point last year because my wife and her team were out there racing too. It was DKTs first Iron-Distance race.


Out of the water in 3rd, with 4th and 5th right on his tail


Starting the bike


Heading through T2 (with a camera hot on his tail) in second place

I wrote 2 Examiner articles about his choice of nutrition at that Rev3 Race. I first wrote about the McDouble that he ate on the bike, and then more recently I wrote about that "secret" when it was published in May 2011 Triathlete Mag. I also wrote about when DKT finished 3rd in his first Iron-Distance race. And more importantly, that 3rd place finish allowed DKT to take the 2010 Rev3 series title as "the most versatile triathlete in the world" because the series consisted of a sprint, an Oly, a half-iron, and a full-iron event!

Why do I mention all of this? Well, recently DKT sent out an e-mail blast to all of his followers. There were 4 bullet points in the e-mail. The first 2 were about races. The third was about finishing up some construction work on his house. And the fourth point was this:

Fighting Crime
Our house was broken into during the construction project this winter. Henry our dog chased the burglar out of the house, so we're glad we spent the money on his knee surgery this summer. Upon, fleeing the burglar took my mountain bike out of the garage as a get away vehicle. This was in the middle of winter in Minnesota, so I couldn't just run after him in my boxer shorts. However, I still managed to run him down and tackle him after putting on my snow pants, jacket, and boots.

That's awesome. Click here to read David's full story on his blog. I have to admit, I'd probably have the same thoughts going through my head as I tackled the guy as DKT had going through his head as he mentioned in his blog....

Nice work, David! Thanks for making it just a little safer for all of us to live in St. Paul!!

8 comments:

The Triathlon Rx 3:07 PM, May 08, 2011  

Definitely well deserving of that "Most versatile triathlete" award!! WOO DKT!

Ironman By Thirty 8:24 PM, May 08, 2011  

Ok that sounds all well and good, but I think we all we really want to know was what his transition time was from boxer shorts to full winter gear. haha

Bees 11:18 PM, May 08, 2011  

That's awesome. A true Minnesota T2 and he still caught him! I have dreams of finding the crook who took my Fuji Team Pro last week.

Christi 9:13 AM, May 09, 2011  

That is an awesome story!

SteveQ 10:27 AM, May 09, 2011  

Reminds me of the time a kid tried to steal a pair of shoes from a local running store. The staff played Rock, Scissors, Paper for a few minutes to decide who would chase him down. Caught him about 5 blocks away.

TriEric 11:25 AM, May 09, 2011  

I want to know his T2 time also. Did he also put on his race belt?

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.