5K Training for my Boys!

>> Monday, April 17, 2023

I posted this on Facebook last week:

So proud of my boys today! They decided 4-6 weeks ago to train for a 5K this spring, so they’ve been casually running on the treadmill about twice a week. We left the basement for their first outdoor training run today. Charlie wanted to go 1 mile, but ended up going 2.5! Henry took off easy and kept a CONSTANT pace for 3.2 miles! With no sort of speed coaching from me, his mile splits were 10:15, 10:21, and 10:20! That boy can pace!

I took Henry out first. Here were some photos from that post:


Along River Road about a mile from home.


Back near home around 3 miles into the run!


My bike pace as I rode behind him. That comes out to 10:22/mile overall!

Henry just walked a little near the end. Otherwise, he just held onto his pace! There was a bigger uphill just before mile 2, and Henry pushed the pace up that a bit - we got to the top and he said "I tried to run a little harder to keep at the same speed" to which I replied "I could tell!"

Then I took Charlie out. He had more walking breaks for sure, but was a CHAMP out there! Like the inital post said, he told me he just wanted to run a mile, but after the first half-mile (the spot where we'd have to turn around to make it a 1 mile run), he said he wanted to keep going. He decided on a route around the golf course. Here he is heading down to the 1 block along the river around mile 0.8:




Notice on the map that Charlie wanted to circle the block to get to 2.5 miles at the end!

Here's a quick video of him running near home around 2 miles in:


Direct link: youtu.be/W5Dle3O2x_0

SIDENOTE: I like to find turkeys on my morning runs down by the river. I've seen some on my last 3 runs last week (and on my first real outdoor ride last week too, so 4 out of 5 days last week!). They've become a "good luck charm" of sorts. And after my run with Henry as we got home to pick up Charlie, we found a turkey in OUR yard. I just thought it cute that a turkey showed up for my SONS' workouts:


Running by the bushes and the alley!


In our front yard!

Anyway, I'm super proud of my boys. If Henry keeps running over these next few weeks, he could really crush this 5K. But I'm not pushing him - he's doing this all on his own. So curious to see what happens!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.