Giving Thanks

>> Tuesday, November 20, 2007

This year, I can sum up most of what I am thankful for in one statement: I am thankful for the opportunity to be a triathlete.

Allow me to elaborate:

- In my “free-time,” I am able to spend entire days on my bike, followed by a short run, followed by sitting on the couch while icing sore parts. This is called a brick. My Sunday’s over this past summer were spent “brickin’ it up old-school.”

- My “expendable income” can be used on bikes, bike accessories, technical apparel, extra speedos, sexually explicit running socks, P.T. appointments, lucky tighty-whities, etc.

(Note: “quotes” used above because who really has “free time” and “expendable income.”)

- I’m now enjoying 5Ks when, just 9 months ago, I couldn’t run 2 miles without horrible knee pain. In September, I showed that left knee "who’s the boss" as I finished my first Ironman.

- I’m able to do all of this with the help and support of loved ones.

If I’m able to live life like this, with all my free-time and “extra” income, I really can’t complain about anything. I have much to be thankful for. So this year, I can happily state the following, and it carries SO much more weight than what it would seem:

I am thankful for the opportunity to be a triathlete.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I hope we all know how blessed we all are. And watch for my 5K report shortly after Thanksgiving.

18 comments:

Spandex King 2:13 PM, November 20, 2007  

So true! Some nights I feel guilty watching the nightly news and seing what other people worry about. And me, I'm worried about some missed ride or workout.

God Bless America and those who fight or have fought to protect my freedom.

Anne 2:36 PM, November 20, 2007  

What a great attitude, one I hope is infectious. It's so true that we take so much for granted and have so much to be thankful for. (And thanks for stopping by...I LOVE the name of your blog!)

Dan Seifring aka "OBRATS" 5:09 PM, November 20, 2007  

tzilla took the words from my mouth.


AMEN Brother.

Marcy 5:27 PM, November 20, 2007  

HAve a Happy Thanksgiving homie!!

IronTriTim 7:27 PM, November 20, 2007  

Never a truer word said. Happy Thanksgiving

Rainmaker 7:49 PM, November 20, 2007  

"sexually explicit running socks"

Wow...that's...umm...hardcore.

Unknown 9:20 PM, November 20, 2007  

true true true

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Tri-Dummy 6:07 AM, November 21, 2007  

I couldn't agree more.

Happy Tanksgivin' to you and Pharmie.

RunBubbaRun 6:35 AM, November 21, 2007  

Happy turkey day..

There is so many things to be thankful for.

Michelle 8:53 AM, November 21, 2007  

Happy Thanksgiving to you and Pharmie. Eat lots of turket (oh yeah, no need to encourage that!).

tri-mama 7:30 PM, November 21, 2007  

Happy Thanksgiving to you and the family!

CoachLiz 5:54 PM, November 22, 2007  

Happy Thanksgiving Steve and Pharmie!

Anonymous,  7:56 PM, November 22, 2007  

Nice post! Happy Thanksgiving!!

I ran a 5K this morning, and as I saw the "speedsters" at the front of the pack after the turn-around, I thought about you and your 5K today. Hope it went well...can't wait to read the report!

Herself, the GeekGirl 9:05 PM, November 23, 2007  

Smirnoff Ice comes in wild grape? AWESOME!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.