Hilly Father's Day "Half Marathon"

>> Thursday, June 22, 2023

This past weekend, I was camping with my in-laws in WI. I posted this later that night on social media:

I hopped out of our tent at 5:00 this morning and thought I’d do a long run. Part way through the run, I figured I’d make it a Father’s Day half marathon. Why not. So I did that on the hills in WI - a “normal” long run (with the middle 6.5 miles “at pace”), but just a bit longer than usual... and about 3x the elevation gain compared to my normal route along the river in the Twin Cities. My quads are feeling it tonight! And my Garmin says I’ve gone up many floors today. 🏃🏻🎉❤️

I shared these pics:


Nearly 900' of ascent when I'm used to around 300' in my normal long runs!


I worked hard to hit 100 floors in a day this past spring, but this time it just happened naturally.


The boys passed out at 5 a.m. when I got up to run.

For the run, I ran the first 3 miles easier before my "at pace" miles. Here's what my half-mile splits looked like for the entirety of the run:

3 mile warm-up: 3:42, 3:41, 3:51, 3:47, 3:50, 3:49

6.5 pace miles: 3:15, 3:02, 3:05, 3:05, 3:07, 3:13, 3:13, 3:00, 3:11, 3:11, 3:12, 3:24, 3:36 (BIG FLIPPIN' HILLS AT THE END) = 41:41 for 6.5 miles, or 6:24.77 / mile

(or 6:18.19 / mile through mile 5.5 before hitting that nasty hill)

3.5+ mile cool-down: 4:14 (still on that big hill), 3:26, 3:31, 3:36, 3:36, 3:38, 3:38, 1:35 (for 0.22 miles)

Here's my elevation chart over my pace chart. Notice the big climb near the end of the "pace" miles! I started running down the other side when my pace miles were over, ran a bit more down it easy, and then turned around to climb it to start my cool-down:


So that first big dip in speed was still trying to run hard (just uphill),
and then the 2nd bigger dip in speed was cooling down up that hill.

My quads were FRIED later that day! And the next day (Monday), they were still very sore. Monday I was on my feet a lot, but didn't do any kind of workout. Tuesday I biked to the pool and swam, and I took it easy! That was a good run on Sunday, but I'm trying to make sure I get my legs rested up before I injure them!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.