Apple Duathlon (part 2)

>> Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Here are a few more photos from the Duathlon a week and a half ago:







I’m not as strong on the bike now as compared to last year, but my short-distance running is a bit better (my knee usually craps out at 4 miles). The bike was HORRENDOUSLY windy for the last 9 miles, but I made it through. Overall, it was a good time.

At the Apple, I met a fellow blogger named Cadesdad. Well, I sort of met him. If you haven’t already noticed, I try to be a friendly fella. So whenever I passed anyone during the bike, I said “Good morning” or “Nice job” or “What are your views on capital punishment” – you know, something friendly. Around five miles in, I said “Good morning” to the person I was passing, and I heard back “Hey, Steve Stenzel!” I was shocked. I said “How do I know you?” He replied, “I’m Cadesdad.” But I heard “I’m Kate’s Dad.” I was trying to think of all of the Kate’s that I’ve taught over the years, and I couldn’t figure out who he would be the father of. I asked “Kate who?” He replied, “No, Cadesdad.” “Kate who?” I asked again. Again I heard “No, CADESDAD!” He finally said “Just go on!” As soon as I pulled away from him, I thought, “OOHHHHH, CADESDAD!” I felt like an ass. A super ass. I looked for him at the finish, but I couldn’t find him. Oops.

My official results:
5K run - 22:22 (7:12 / mile ave)
T1 - 1:28
33K bike - 1:07:51 (18.1 mph ave)
T2 - 1:05
5K run - 21:52 (7:03 / mile ave)
Total - 1:54:36

Tack on a 2 minute penalty for “equipment abandonment” because my race number flew off part way through the bike, and my official total is 1:56:36. With that penalty assessed, I placed 151 out of a field of nearly 300. Nothing fancy, but fun nonetheless.

9 comments:

Lance Notstrong 3:30 PM, June 05, 2007  

Those are some pretty damn good times in my book!!!

Wedgie 2:29 AM, June 06, 2007  

Is the smiley face standard issue at the duathlon? Or is that a Steve Stenzel exclusive? Either way, I may request one for my next race!

Unknown 11:01 AM, June 06, 2007  

Good Job. Glad to hear the knee handled both runs without serious griping.

E-Speed 11:02 AM, June 06, 2007  

I am so bad at recognizing people during races. It's funny how that is. Imaging the back and forth about Kate's Dad is funny. Glad you had fun out there!

teacherwoman 9:33 PM, June 06, 2007  

Nice job on the Dualthon...


We all have moments like that... CADESDAD!

Steve Stenzel 8:26 AM, June 07, 2007  

Mister P - It was a request. I didn't know if they'd do it because it's a pretty "official" duathlon (I mean 2 minutes for my number blowing off!?!?).

John 12:59 PM, June 08, 2007  

They shouldn’t penalize you for going so fast that your flimsy number can't hang on! They should deduct 2 minutes for that!

Great race!

RunBubbaRun 5:35 AM, June 09, 2007  

You sure you have a bum knee. Those are some fast run times..Glad it held up.

Great job out there..

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.