Riding Lots of Hills in St. Paul

>> Monday, May 26, 2014

Brother-in-law Matt and I did a hilly ride on Saturday. We road along the Mississippi River for a few miles, rode the Big Rivers Trail, and then did hill repeats on THEE Ohio Hill and THEE Ramsey Hill. Here's what our elevation chart looked like:


2 warm-up hills early on, and then 6 nasty repeats.


Matt coming up the 2nd of our "easy hills" early on.
(Sorry for the blurry sweat-on-my-camera photo).


A few miles later cruising behind big sexy on the Big Rivers Trail.

We got to the base of Ohio Hill, and I told Matt I was going to do it 3 times. He was gearing up for a long flight that night, so he was just going to do a few of the upcoming hill repeats (he didn't want a sore bum):


About 170 feet of elevation gain from start to finish.


Just after the finish of #2 (that light pole behind me marks the highest point and my finish).


Heading back down. I did three 0.41 mile repeats in 2:25, 2:26, and 2:29.

Then Matt and I crossed the Smith bridge only to do 3 more repeats up Ramsey Hill. Here are some photos Matt got of me on my final hill climb:


That speck in front of that car is me - I'm about 2/3 up the hill.


Almost up.


Hurtin'.


Straight up Ramsey, then down the quiet "back roads" to the bottom.
I screwed up my first split, but my last 2 were both 1:35 for the 0.22 mile hill.


Close up of the elevation of the 6 hill repeats. Some nasty climbs over 25 mins.
Close to 2,000 feet of climbing over 6 miles!

After riding all of that, my overall average was still just over 17 mph! I wasn't speedy throughout, but it was a solid workout! Thanks for the ride, Matt!

2 comments:

Jumper 2.0 8:44 PM, May 26, 2014  

Realize the truth, there is no hill. It is not the hill that elevates, only yourself.


-The Matrix
(or something like that)

Steve Stenzel 10:02 PM, May 26, 2014  

Ha! Thanks Jumper. I'll remember that…. :)

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.