Potentially Stupid Brick Workout

>> Saturday, July 14, 2012

So it's RACE DAY for me! I should have HOPEFULLY just finished the Olympic Distance race at the Life Time Fitness Triathlon in Minneapolis. (Check my Twitter page for updates!)

A week ago, I posted about a 43 mile ride - my longest ride in over 2 years. I felt like I was in "base building" mode where I'm just getting in some miles to get ready for "race season." That should happen in March or April... NOT in July. I had no speed on that ride, so I wanted to get in a LITTLE speed work to hopefully remind my legs how to move fast...

... so I decided to do short brick 3 days before my race.

Yeah, I know. That's not the smartest thing to do. But MENTALLY, I needed it.

I kept the distance short, and I didn't go "all out" on the bike and run, just at nearly race pace (and for a lot shorter distances). I first did this 16 mile loop on my bike:



I did the first 5 miles at a "moderate" pace (it's some easy miles and it's mostly downhill), then I picked it up to about race pace for the final 11 miles. There are some little climbs in there, so I did NOT hit those too hard - I didn't want to fry my legs for today's race. But I DID try to pick up the pace shortly after the climb to still know what it was like to push while being winded.

I transitioned for about 2 minutes, reset my Garmin (while changing the mode to "run"), and headed out for a 3 mile "race-pace" runoff:



I'm REALLY glad I tried out the Garmin on a race-pace run because I learned something about it that I'd hate to learn in a race! I took off from home telling myself to not go any faster than 6:30 pace, and the Garmin read that I was going about 7:15 / mile pace. That was fine... I knew I'd build a little into it as my legs loosened up a bit. For most of the first mile, it said I was going around 7:03 / mile pace. At my FASTEST going down a big hill, it said I was down to 6:23 / mile pace. "Whoa Steve... keep it 6:30 or slower..." I was coming up on what I know as my "mile 1 marker," and I glanced down at my watch just as it beeped. I expected to see 6:55 - 7:10 based on all of the times I checked my actual speed. But it said I had ran a 6:06 mile!! When I was telling this to my wife, she said "Oh yeah, it's well-known that Garmin's 'actual pace' feature can be a little off." It wasn't well-known to me!

So at the race today, I WILL glance at my actual pace on the run, but I won't trust it until I hit a mile marker. I'm glad I found this out on a training run, because I'd hate to take off too fast in a race where I stated one of my main goals is NOT to bonk! Notice then (in my run screenshot above) that I slowed up a bit, but still ran mile 2 and 3 in 6:18 and 6:25. I finished those 3 miles feeling a bit worked, but NOT tired or sore. I don't know that I can hold that pace for a full 10K after swimming a mile and biking 25 miles, but I'll give it my best today!

I got home, watered the flowers, and was stretching my legs out by 6:15 a.m. That's what happens when you leave for a workout shortly after 4 a.m. :) Pharmie then headed out for a run of her own, so it was a good morning!

And then after that brick workout, my family came to visit and took Pharmie and I out for our upcoming anniversary. We went to Fogo de Chao (can you say "meat buffet?") for LOTS of meat!! And then we got a free dessert for our anniversary:



Regarding eating at a "meat buffet," I believe comedian Louis C.K. put it best when he said:



If you missed it, here are my race plans for today. And pop by my Twitter page for race updates!

Back with maybe a quick race post tonight or tomorrow, a race report Monday, and a GIVEAWAY sometime later in the week! Happy Weekend!

2 comments:

Ririnette 10:37 AM, July 14, 2012  

Steve, I notice that your Garmin is at 2.40 firmware version. The version 2.50 contains a ton of fixes, you may want to install that. It took me 3 tries, each 30min, but in the end it agreed with Ant agent and the website that it was at the latest version. Good luck with th triathlon today and all things Garmin. I love my 910XT!

Sarah 3:43 PM, July 18, 2012  

Happy Anniversary! Congratulations! What is that saying? Spouses that sweat together, stay together? I think that's it.

(Nate & I celebrated our wedding anniversary yesterday as well. :)

Sarah
www.thinfluenced.com

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.