10K Training, Here I Come!

>> Saturday, April 07, 2012

Alright, it's time to get my butt in gear. I've talked a lot about getting in longer runs, but I haven't been getting in my speed work. I'm currently up to nearly 49 miles ran CONSECUTIVELY with Henry, including a race 2 weeks ago! But now I should try to get in some better workouts for the upcoming "Get in Gear 10K" in a few weeks.

Pharmie scoffed at me when I did 12.8 miles last weekend with Henry in 1:27:18. (Because she thinks that's crazy fast.) I've realized my longer distance runs are going GREAT - when I try to sustain a "decent" pace for a long run, I can hold it better than I could in the past. And that's because I'm simply running MORE with Henry!

But when I try to up the pace a bit (even from like 6:25 to 6:10 per mile), I can't "hold on" as long as I used to be able to. My "raw speed" isn't there like it has been in the past. And it's totally because I'm running more long runs with Henry and not doing as many hard tempo runs, fartleks, or track workouts. So the little dude is helping my endurance, but hurting my speed.

So I need to try to find time for some non-Henry runs and really push myself. Maybe this weekend when lots of family is around, I can "pawn off" Henry for a moment and sneak out for a hard gut-busting run.

On Thursday, I took Henry out for a quick "nap run" before work. He took a bottle, got really sleepy, but was fighting sleep. So we hit the jogging stroller. It was about 43 degrees, so Henry had his mittens on:



As soon as I started running, he gave me some big giggles:



... and then he passed out a half mile later.

We warmed up for 1.5 miles and then hit some tempo miles hard. I did my "building" half mile in 3:07, and then three tempo miles in:

6:04
5:49
5:49

And Henry slept through all of that:


After the tempo miles

FUTURE TIMELINE:

- The Get in Gear 10K is 3 weeks away, so I hope to do some hard workouts over the next 10 days. I'm still TOTALLY going to run with Henry, but I really should get in some non-Henry runs for 2 reasons: first, so I don't totally destroy my "non-stroller running form;" and second, so I can push myself a little more.

- Then, 2 weeks after that is the New Prague Half Marathon, so I need to make sure to be keeping my mileage up for that. Both of those races are "Grand Prix" races, so I've gotta go hard!

- After that, it's MULTI-SPORT SEASON in Minnesota!! So I need to sneak in some swim and bike workouts when I can as well!

Happy Easter!!



1 comments:

IronMin 10:07 PM, April 08, 2012  

You.are.fast. Can't believe you can multitask the jogger while you crank out those fast miles. Makes me wonder why I can't get to 7 minute miles...you are making me push harder. :)
Henry is adorable as always!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.