First Track Intervals in 4 Months

>> Saturday, November 19, 2011

Before I get to the intervals, I should also mention that I swam this week for the first time since my last triathlon in August. I went nearly 3 whole months without swimming. But a labored 1200 meter swim changed that.

Yesterday, while waiting for Target to figure out the simple photo order that I had sent in, I took a half hour and busted out some intervals on the St. Thomas track:


Hoodie, keys, and water bottle on the edge of the track

It had been nearly 4 months since my last intervals, and it was only my 3rd time doing intervals all year! Last year at this time, we already had a foot of snow, so I knew it was a blessing to be able to run on a clean, dry track! It was 40 degrees and breezy, but I put on my calf sleeves (which help to keep me warm) with shorts, and I was grand.

3 x 1600 with 90 seconds rest:

The first interval felt good. The first 2 400s were consistent.

The second interval felt pretty "clunky." I was stomping my way through most of it (starting around 500 meters in). I started faster and slowed up a bit in the first 800.

Third interval was hell (but really good for me). The first 2 400s were pretty even (and fast), but I was hashed. Felt like I was stomping and had no form through any of it. Tried to keep my foot strikes quick.

2:50, 2:46 = 5:36
2:50, 2:43 = 5:33
2:45, 2:41 = 5:26

5:31.6 average


Nice descend. I had hoped to be a little faster, but I'll take it. It beat me up (in a good way). It was slower (but in a way it was better) than my last intervals in early August. I went out too hard a few months ago, and ran 5:24, 5:34, and 5:33. And I took some extra rest before the last interval because I so stupidly went out too hard and was dying at the end.

I grabbed a photo just 30 seconds after the final interval while I was sweaty and still breathing hard:



My hands were red and chilly once I got home, so I took a photo:



You really CAN'T see how red they were, but what you CAN see is my chest hair in the lower-left part of the image. Sweet. I used the self-timer so I could hit the shutter button and hold the camera with my chin so both hands (and apparently my chest hair) could be in the photo.

Back with a giveaway next week! Do you like music? Music while working out? Well, then stop back on Monday for a great giveaway! Happy weekend!

4 comments:

The Boring Runner 5:06 PM, November 19, 2011  

I was wondering how you took the picture of BOTH or your hands. Capturing something like that is probably worth an errant chest hair or two.

The Triathlon Rx 7:20 PM, November 19, 2011  

Uuuugh I don't want to admit how long it's been since I've swam. Being in the pool for pool running doesn't count!! Should probably get on that...

I'll check back on Monday!

SteveQ 12:40 PM, November 20, 2011  

How the heck do you get onto that track?! It's always closed. Always. ALWAYS! And I know a coach there with keys! Of course, now that there's snow, it's a moot point - see ya at the Coliseum or Metrodome.

Steve Stenzel 2:32 PM, November 20, 2011  

Adam, I wish Blogger would like me "like" your comment.

SteveQ, it's always locked from Cretin, but it's always open through the campus. There's no way to actually lock it from the "campus side." I come to the campus from the north (from Selby), and if you follow that road through campus (basically straight south from Finn and Selby), it leads you RIGHT to the open track! Check it out!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.