I USE THIS 04: The BEST Frozen Pizza Ever

>> Monday, August 15, 2011

File this under "Training Fuel."

One might say I'm a sort of frozen pizza aficionado. And this is no surprise to most of my long-time readers. It's not uncommon for me to have pizza before a race.

We've all heard "It's not delivery. It's DiGiorno!" And you know what? The first time I had one of their pizzas, I was pretty impressed. But now that it's been a few years, I'm kinda over it. I expect ALL frozen pizzas to taste like that now.

A few months ago, Pharmie came home with some HUGE frozen pizzas from Davannis - a local pizza chain. They were expensive (around $10 each), but the ever-thrifty Pharmie had a 2-for-1 coupon, so she brought home a "Meaty" and a "Sausage" pizza:


The Sausage Pizza from Davannis

The pizza was a lot of work! The box said to let it sit out for 45 minutes, then cook it for 45 minutes, and then let it sit for a while before cutting into it. This was the big downside to this pizza: from the moment you decide to have frozen pizza for dinner to the time you're actually eating it is over 90 minutes.

The pizza looked "weird" in the box. I found this note on it explaining why the sauce was on the top:



OK. Whatever. I let the pizza sit out. I preheated the oven. I baked the pizza. I let the pizza sit. And I got my camera. This is what came out of the oven a total of 90 minutes later:





HOLY CRAP WAS IT EVER DELICIOUS. They're really onto something there with the sauce on top to keep the thick crust from getting soggy. I know they didn't invent that, but it's good thinking on their part!

I normally eat most (if not all) of a frozen pizza in one sitting. I could only eat half of this pizza, and it was so good. So even if it was a $10 pizza, that'd be 2 full meals for me at $5 each - not bad.

BOTTOM LINE: Not greasy. Not soggy. DELICIOUS bready crust. Not "fake" tasting. Super hearty. More filling than DiGiorno, better tasting, and not as bad for you.

CLICK HERE to find a press release about the pizza ALONG WITH how to find locations (grocery stores) that carry Davannis frozen pizza. I think it's only in the Twin Cities area, so I pray that you're from "around these parts." :)

6 comments:

Katie 4:13 PM, August 15, 2011  

holy moley! I had no idea Davanni's made frozen pizzas!! So excited.

Eric Senf 4:58 PM, August 15, 2011  

Davanni's FTW! I may need to pack one of these to Cedar Rapids this weekend for the Pigman pre-race meal.

Ken Schelper,  10:53 AM, August 16, 2011  

Steve,
Thanks for your kind comments. We agree - it takes some time, but there is nothing in retail pizzas that compares. Although our restaurants are only in the greater TC metro, grocers throughout the state carry our products or have access to them. See Retail Products at www.davannis.com for which stores carry which products.

Steve Stenzel 1:50 PM, August 16, 2011  

Yes, Ken, it takes some time, but I agree that it's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO worth it! :) Thanks!

teacherwoman 2:59 PM, August 16, 2011  

I have never heard of that pizza or seen it in our local grocer. But, I would be up for trying it sometime, if I found it somewhere. :)

Mary V.,  9:34 AM, August 17, 2011  

I love frozen pizzas and will definitely give Davanni's a try. My current favorite frozen pizza is Home Run Inn and I'd like to know if you've tried it and if so, your thoughts, from one frozen pizza lover to another. Thanks! PS - It makes my day when one of your cats makes it into a photo.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.