I USE THIS 03: My Protein Powder of Choice (Pharmie's Too!)

>> Thursday, August 11, 2011

All protein powder tastes a little like pig feed. I would know - I grew up on a hog farm.

Pharmie has NEVER liked protein powder. But about a year ago, we found a winner.

Someone from PowerBar sent me 6 jugs of protein mix! (3 vanilla and 3 chocolate.) I thought I'd be giving some away to family and friends, but we're going through it too quickly. We only have 2 full jugs left. Here's what we've been using:


PowerBar ProteinPlus

I've been using protein powder off-and-on since I was in high school and a doctor recommended soy protein for my brain (it's a long story). Since then, there's always the "soy vs whey" debate. The way I've understood it is that soy has more "other stuff" (like amino acids) in it that is good for you, but whey is better used by your muscles. Well, this PowerBar protein has its own mix of 3 different sources of protein, so you're getting a little bit of everything. Here's what PowerBar says:

PowerBar ProteinPlus Protein Powder Drink Mix contains 20 grams of TriSource protein blend, a combination of three protein sources; whey protein isolate, calcium caseinate and soy protein isolate. The TriSource protein blend in PowerBar ProteinPlus Protein Powder Drink Mix was developed to be a high quality protein with a steady delivery of essential amino acids.

Pharmie doesn't get a ton of protein, and she's NEVER made anything with protein powder because it tastes too much like feed. But while she was pregnant and needing more protein, she went through a lot of the vanilla, and she LIKED it!! And I think the chocolate tastes like chocolate milk!

My "selling point" on this protein is that it's very "crystal-like," which allows it to dissolve better than ANY other protein powder I've EVER had. Really. There still might be a LITTLE bit of a clump at the bottom of my glass, but it usually dissolves nearly perfectly. I like to use this stuff after a hard workout in a big glass of milk, as I'm chugging a big glass of water in my other hand.

If interested, use this link to find PowerBar ProteinPlus Protein Powder Drink Mix on Amazon. FYI: I'm not making any $$ off that link - it's just a general link to the protein mix that I found when I Googled it. I crossed out that last part because as commenter BriTriGuy noted, it's cheaper on the PowerBar website than on Amazon. So check it out here if you're interested in getting some of your own!

BOTTOM LINE: It's a good source of different kinds of protein, it tastes good, and it dissolves well.

8 comments:

GoBigGreen 5:48 PM, August 11, 2011  

Oh that is bc you have never tried First Endurance's Ultragen...not knocking Powerbar, i like their stuff too. But just to be fair....:)
Hey swim season is nearly over...Square Lake is asking about you...

Kim 7:36 AM, August 12, 2011  

i use this protein powder too!

Carolina John 8:06 AM, August 12, 2011  

That sounds like really good stuff! I've been forced to stay away from protein powders even though I would really like to use them. Makes me fart more than the wife can stand.

BriTriGuy 11:01 AM, August 12, 2011  

Hey Steve,

I love the blog but, just wanted to let you know the Amazon link has the PowerBar Protein for $6 more than most places sell it...even powerbar's website.

Steve Stenzel 11:38 AM, August 12, 2011  

Thanks BriTriGuy!! I changed the last part of the post and put in the cheaper link!!

Thomas 7:52 AM, August 14, 2011  

Something else to consider: is this product contains sucralose. My body is fine with nutrasweet when it comes along, but sucralose makes my head wonky so I avoid it.

I am using Endurox R4 from Pacific Labs.

That Pink Girl 10:38 AM, September 02, 2011  

Thanks for the info. I use Jay Robb's whey powder because it takes a lot less like hog feed than others I've tried. But I'll have to look for this one and try it! Who knows what I've been missing!

Unknown 5:23 AM, December 19, 2012  

plzzz tell be what is the main benifits of WP... ???

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.