7 Quick Henry / Workout Updates

>> Saturday, June 18, 2011

• 1: This blog WILL change:
This blog used to be mostly about my swim / bike / run adventures, with a little of my random personal life thrown in. Well, now there will be a little MORE of my personal live thrown in with a cutie like Baby Henry in the house. I'll try not to go overboard on "Henry posts," but they WILL exist from time-to-time.

So if you've been stopping by lately for only Henry-related posts, I'm sorry - you'll have to deal with some fitness-related posts too. And if you've been a fan for a while and are just used to my swim / bike / run posts, I'm sorry - you'll have to deal with a few more photos regarding my personal life and the cute child that came from the seed of my loins.


• 2: My first moments with Henry:
I can be a bit of an emotional sap at times. And so can Pharmie. So the last week has been filled with a lot of happy tears. Sure, I was choked-up when I got to announce to Pharmie "It's a boy," but there have been a few more after that.

About 90 minutes after he was born, I got to hold him for about 20 minutes straight. Before that, he had a lot of skin-to-skin with Pharmie, started nursing, was cleaned up, had his blood sugar tested, etc, etc. Monica (my mother-in-law who was there for the entire birth because she's a Labor and Delivery Nurse AND because she's AWESOME) told me to go grab a bite, and I was back in the room after doing that. So Monica went to get some food for herself, and Pharmie was in the bathroom with the nurse getting all cleaned up - it was my moment alone with Henry in the chair by the bed.

I started talking to him, and my first words were "How are you doing, little Henry?" It totally caught me off guard, but I was bawling by the time I said "Henry." I realized it was the first time I was calling him Henry - I had said his name so many times to the nurses and to all of the people that I called, but THAT was the first time I called HIM Henry to his face. I cried as I rocked my little guy in my arms. Then I heard (and felt) him fill his pants, and I knew I'd keep him. ;)


• 3: Full Henry delivery story:
I didn't allude to much in my story of Henry's birth, but there were a few scary moments during the 30 hours we were at the hospital leading up to his birth. I know Pharmie will be posting a more complete story on her blog in the next few days, and I'll make sure to let you all know when she does. (I might post a little more of my experience too, since all I posted so far was pretty short and to-the-point.)


• 4: Toe update:
It's amazing what a week of not running will do to help heal beat-up toes! My nasty left toe now looks like this:



A week ago, it looked like this:



The "forced" time off has helped!


• 5: First workouts:
On Thursday, I posted that I hadn't done much for a week. Well, I was finally able to sneak away for a good weights and core session on Thursday. And yesterday I was able to fit in a quick 7 mile run (1.6 WU, then stretch, and then 5.4 run).


• 6: Showered:
Yesterday I showered for only the 2nd time in a week. (Friday afternoon [the 10th of June], then Monday at the hospital, and now FINALLY Friday the 17th.) I guess babies do that to people.


• 7: Henry photos:
Finally, here are a few more recent photos of our 6-day-old Henry:


2 days old, ready to go home shortly


Headed home


Ella trying to figure out what this burrito is all about


Henry with his cousins Ian and Bree


Cat, cat, baby


After his first bath at home


Henry likes to look at himself in the mirror


Proud (topless) Papa!


Our first walk yesterday! We went for ice cream!


Pharmie and Henry on our first walk


All of us back in our yard after our first outing

I hope to be back with my review of an interesting training option (good for recovery, therapy, and training with an injury) early next week. Happy weekend, everyone!!

15 comments:

Sue 10:40 AM, June 18, 2011  

I think this is wonderful! I'm a long time reader (and mom) so I'm looking forward to both reading about your training/racing and about Henry.

PS I cried when I read that you cried. Babies do that to us...

Kat 11:22 AM, June 18, 2011  

Simply awesome.

Congrats to you both. What a lucky little guy to have such awesome parents!

Hello, Henry! :-)

Theresa @ActiveEggplant.com 11:53 AM, June 18, 2011  

If your female readers didn't have "baby fever" before, I'm sure we all do now! Looking forward to many more posts about your new little man, even if it means we still hear about your workouts. :)

LB 12:11 PM, June 18, 2011  

dear lord...now im crying! he is too stinkin cute! love that burp cloth!!!

Amytrigirl (aka Amybee) 2:32 PM, June 18, 2011  

you are already a great Dad, Steve, and Pharmie is a great Mom.

I'm so happy for you both and look forward to meeting Henry.

Katie 2:52 PM, June 18, 2011  

OHHHHHHHHHH!! Congrats! He's adorable! Enjoy these early weeks! :D

Kristin,  3:09 PM, June 18, 2011  

He's so adorable! And I love that your cloth has bikes on it! The whole thing is too stinkin' cute!!!

Mary,  5:00 PM, June 18, 2011  

Happy Father's Day Steve!

Regina 9:16 PM, June 18, 2011  

Happy Father's Day! This post made me smile!

Swimtaxi 9:56 PM, June 18, 2011  

I would love to read lots of Henry posts.

Jim Smith II 9:30 AM, June 19, 2011  

That's great Steve (and Pharmie - I mean she did all the hard work)! You post what you want, it's you're blog, we'll keep reading...

The Triathlon Rx 11:38 AM, June 19, 2011  

Happy FATHERS day Steve!!! I am so happy for you and Sarah. :D Haha and that "cat trying to figure out what is this burrito" caption had me laughing between a tear drop. I can't wait to follow you guys through this first year!

Richelle 11:24 PM, June 19, 2011  

I LOVE this post... love love love! Henry is so adorable and I can't wait to read more about him. :)

Carolina John 8:49 AM, June 20, 2011  

so cruel holding that baby with no shirt on and now shower! poor thing.

Welcome to the club! Now you know why everyone said that having a kid would completely change your life. pretty amazing, isn't it?

Cinthia 11:25 AM, June 20, 2011  

So cute! Your Henry is a keeper. Did you notice how he has his leg kicked in the one pic, like he's ready to pedal a bike or sprint to the finish line? Like mom and dad, like son.
Congrats to you and Pharmie, and lots of love, hugs and sleep in the upcoming months. Especially sleep, hee, hee.
Cheers to all, cats included

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.