"21 Workout" and Links

>> Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Saturday, I did the Crossfit workout called "Twenty One." I've done it a few times in the past (maybe 4 or 5 times) when I only had a little time for a quick workout. I cheated a little, and those "cheats" are noted with the asterisks below.

"Twenty-One"
Complete the following for time:

• 20 push-ups/1 sit-up
• 19 push-ups/2 sit-ups
• 18 push-ups/3 sit-ups
• 17 push-ups/4 sit-ups *
• 16 push-ups/5 sit-ups *
• 15 push-ups/6 sit-ups *
• 14 push-ups/7 sit-ups *
• 13 push-ups/8 sit-ups *
• 12 push-ups/9 sit-ups
• 11 push-ups/10 sit-ups
• 10 push-ups/11 sit-ups
• 9 push-ups/12 sit-ups
• 8 push-ups/13 sit-ups
• 7 push-ups/14 sit-ups
• 6 push-ups/15 sit-ups
• 5 push-ups/16 sit-ups
• 4 push-ups/17 sit-ups
• 3 push-ups/18 sit-ups
• 2 push-ups/19 sit-ups
• 1 push-up/20 sit-ups

Push-up standards: Body stays planked whether you are on your toes or your knees. Chest touches the deck. Arms to full lockout.

Sit-ups on an Abmat with feet unsecured**, all the way up.

* I had to finish some of these push-ups on my knees (usually the last 3 of the 5 sets marked with a "*").

** I locked my feet under our entertainment center once I was doing 12 or more sit-ups.

It took me 15:11, which is a PR for the 21 Workout. It's more killer than it seems. Pharmie came down from upstairs just as I was wrapping up the workout, and she grabbed this photo of me doing one of my very last sit-ups:


Working hard with a lazy cat in the background
(and there's the "vein of approval" on my forehead coming out to say hi!)


In other news, here are some links to some of my Examiner articles recently:

8 tips from one of Minnesota's best runners (along with my "2 cents" as a perennially injured runner).

• Chris "MACCA" McCormack will be coming to Minnesota to race this summer! This is huge!

• Local race director is a cover model on the "Swimsuit Issue" of Triathlete Mag.

• Grandma's Marathon (in Duluth) was this weekend, and it was the closest finish EVER to the race. Click the link to see a photo of a 26.2 mile race decided by only 2 tenths of a second!

• Starting later this week is a series of 7 open water swim clinics at Lake Nokomis.

• And I'm working on 2 more articles that will be published shortly: one on the best local trails / routes as voted on by City Pages readers, and one on local bike laws. Become a fan of the St. Paul Triathlon Examiner on FB to get links to my articles in your Facebook news feed.

Oh, and one last link: I promised that I'd link to my wife's story on Henry's birth, and she just published that the other night. If you'd like a little more detail on the birth of our cute little Hankopotamus, click here to go to her blog post. (And if you missed my write-up on Henry's arrival, scroll down a number of posts or click here.) Thanks!

8 comments:

cdnhollywood 9:16 AM, June 21, 2011  

...assuming I can do 20 pushups is a HUGE assumption let alone a bad one. :D

Better change that for Ironman Mont Tremblant.... Can I start with 1 or 2? ;)

Theresa @ActiveEggplant 9:32 AM, June 21, 2011  

I'm with cdnhollywood - the assumption that I can do 20 pushups in the first set (let alone adding more after that) is absolutely outlandish! I'd probably have to do 1 pushup & 20 situps the entire workout.

Teacher Pursuits 10:09 AM, June 21, 2011  

Hankapotamus!! Yes... its catchy!!!

Unknown 10:53 AM, June 21, 2011  

I am going to try this. Thanks.
Is there ANY rest between sets or is it pushups, situp, pushups, situps,... without a real break?

Steve Stenzel 11:30 AM, June 21, 2011  

Chad, it's NO BREAK because you're supposed to go as fast as possible. But that's the tricky part: maintaining GOOD FORM while going FAST. That's why I decided to drop down to my knees for a few of the pushups - I just wanted to keep good form and not just "power through" with horrible form.

Try the workout! It's harder than it looks.... ;)

Kim 12:08 PM, June 21, 2011  

ughhh crossfit!!! those WODs are ridiculously difficult!

Roger@Bike Racks 10:47 AM, June 22, 2011  

Crossfits very difficult task. You are really great you are doing it. But you look quite fit.

Michelle 9:54 AM, June 23, 2011  

Congratulations on the baby!! Such exciting news. I've been out of the blogosphere having babies of my own but I'm back to it, trying to figure out how to have 2 kids, a full time job and stay fit while actually seeing my husband every now and again. That baby of yours is so cute! Now off to read the birth story.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.