Friday Funny 183: Two Stories Become One

>> Friday, May 06, 2011

Story #1:
Almost 3 years ago, Pharmie and I drove out to Michigan so she could compete in Steelhead Ironman 70.3. Here she is running down the finisher's chute along the beach of Lake Michigan:



And here are 2 photos of the amazing disgusting outfit that I wore to cheer everyone on:


Beef jerky, the “bowl full of sunshine” shorts, and porta-potties.
That’s the race spectating trifecta.



BTW, if you want to see more photos of that race (or of me in those shorts), click here for my "sherpa report," and click here for more photos from post-race.


Story #2:
If you've been following my wife's blog as she's been getting more and more pregnant, you'll have heard her mention running with her new pregnant running buddy Abbe. She met Abbe "through the internet" about 2 months ago. Here's a photo Abbe and Pharmie took before their most recent run together:


Adorable pregnant ladies!


"What's the point of these 2 stories?" you ask?
Well, we recently had Abbe and her hubby Micah over for lunch so we could all meet and talk. We realized that we've done a LOT of the same races over the years - the most recent being the Winter Carnival Half Marathon about 3 months ago where Micah and I finished about a minute apart!!

Micah even raced Steelhead 70.3 while Abbe cheered him on! I asked them if either of them remembered someone in tiny yellow shorts and suspenders. Abbe said it sounded familiar. The day after we talked, Abbe sent Pharmie a link to 50 photos in an album that she took during Steelhead. This was one of the photos in her album:


Abbe's caption simply read: "NOT AN ACTUAL COMPETITOR."

I bet Abbe never thought that she'd be sitting down to lunch in the home of that weirdo in suspenders and yellow shorts 3 years later. I love it.

Happy weekend!!

p.s. I did another "Two Stories Become One" post over 2 years ago. Click here to read how I discovered I knew a Runner's World cover model.

11 comments:

Ironman By Thirty 4:56 PM, May 06, 2011  

Whew! I have done Steelhead the past 2 years. I always knew there was a reason that I didn't get into this sport any sooner :) haha

Great location to pump up the runners on that hill though. That run course kicks my butt each year.

Abigailius 5:39 PM, May 06, 2011  

Our paths finally intersected! Great recap :) The only things missing are our respective horrid Benton Harbor hotel reviews.

I'm glad you liked the photo with Pharmie and me both attempting to provide belly profile shots while still maintaining the classic "arm over the shoulder" pose. They never mention how difficult this is to do when nine months pregnant!

Richelle 6:11 PM, May 06, 2011  

Yet another example of the six degrees of separation at work! I bet you brightened the spirits of many 70.3 competitors that day in that outfit!

Julie 8:47 PM, May 06, 2011  

I love this story! I'm always amazed at what a small world it turns out to be!

Sarah Giacomarra Schrader 8:54 PM, May 06, 2011  

OMG! I have no words for this outfit. I love it and am repulsed by it all at the same time. You are going to embarrass the shit out of your kids! LOL!

Mr Billingtons 9:51 PM, May 06, 2011  

Hello,

Your fitness fan ,way to go ,Wish your wife and you the best for your newest gift into the family ,

I'm pleased your keeping up with your fitness I've become lazy.

Beth 10:23 PM, May 06, 2011  

So hilarious! I have a picture of a guy in hot pink spandex shorts at the Door County Half Iron... pretty sure it's not you... :)

TriEric 9:11 PM, May 07, 2011  

Must....scrub...eyes....clean.

Hey I know that Evo-Tri girl you are high fiving.

Kurt @ Becoming An Ironman 8:13 AM, May 08, 2011  

That's incredible!!

And kudos to you for wearing that out to the race!

Greenking17 "TRI-harder" 2:00 PM, May 11, 2011  

Steve...you're creepy!

Love,

Sean

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.