Swim / Ride

>> Thursday, August 19, 2010

I had 2 easy workouts on the schedule for yesterday: an hour long OWS and an easy bike ride.

So yesterday morning, I hit the lake with the usual gang. Only this time I introduced Marie to the group (Marie did IM WI last year, and she’s getting ready to race WI again this year). Six of us jumped in and we all got to the far corner of the lake.

At that point, Preggers Kelly (a nickname I hope catches on for her) said she was going to start cutting back across the lake towards the beach. I told her I’d go with her. The other swimmers (all the fast, non-pregnant people) were going to go a little farther before cutting back towards the beach. Kelly and I had a good swim back, and we were able to hold off the speedsters - we both thought they’d all catch us before we hit the shore.

Here we all are post-swim:


Front row: me.
Back row: Steve H, Kelly, Steve T, Julia, and Marie.

Julia had to take off ASAP, and when the rest of us got back to my car, we saw that Julia had left cupcakes for us! We scarfed them down before I even thought “oh, I should have taken a picture.” So I took a photo of the tinfoil that once held delicious cupcakes:


Thanks Julia!!

Then, yesterday evening, Pharmie and I went for a ride. She was supposed to do 90 minutes with 2 long “pick-ups,” and I was supposed to do 70 minutes easy. We figured we could do this together.


Pharmie pulling away in her first pick-up.


Riding near the river.


The tunnel under 35E.


Crossing the Mississippi.


Right along the river (can you smell the fish?) after her final pick-up.

It was a BEAUTIFUL night for a ride! I ended up going a little farther than Coach Jen had prescribed, but it was still just a nice, easy ride. Now excuse me... it’s time to hit some hills!...

6 comments:

Alisa 9:43 AM, August 19, 2010  

nice! OWS is so much better if there is a larger group.

I'm sure it's no biggy to you but how cool is it that you get to cross the Mississippi?????? I've only done it once on my drive from Boston back to Cali and I thought it was the coolest thing ever! It's soooooooooo huge!

gmgizmo9 9:56 AM, August 19, 2010  

Steve S...I think you need at least one or two more guys named "Steve" in your group pictures. So funny! And nice workouts!
--
Gina :-)

Ironman By Thirty 11:22 AM, August 19, 2010  

It is really cool how many people you have in your OWS group.

Were those cupcakes "coach approved"? Or will you be doing some extra sprints today to burn them off?

Sara Cox Landolt 4:11 PM, August 19, 2010  

So how do the swim picture logistics work? I have a DiCAPac case, do you use something like that? And where does the camera go while you're swimming? Maybe you've already answered this in the past?

spyder 8:24 AM, August 22, 2010  

Great adventure there, I like the pictures it look so fun. Great post!!!

CoachLiz 6:05 AM, August 23, 2010  

Just a word of advice for Pharmie, if you have not been to my blog in a while, I cracked both my Zipp 404 rims on a training ride and now I am out race wheels until I can get the money together to buy new ones.

Save the Zipps for race day.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.