“Swim Starts” and a Ride with Steve and Julia

>> Thursday, July 15, 2010

Yesterday, Steve T, Steve H, Julia, and I headed to Square Lake for an open water swim. It was a little choppy, so we didn’t do our normal “lap” around the lake. We swam out to the 4th buoy, cut across the lake, headed back in to the next buoy, cut BACK across the lake, swam up to the next buoy, cut BACK across the lake again, and then headed in. This is roughly what we did:



I swore that for the last 10 minutes, I was swimming uphill, so I checked the elevation chart:



Nope, still a flat lake. ;)

Then Steve H, Julia, and I practiced our swim starts. You know - running into the water, taking a few dolphin dives, and then getting into a freestyle rhythm. I didn’t do the last one so I could get photos of Julia and Steve H. Check out Julia’s sweet suit:


Talking about clipping their nails. Really. No joke.


Running in.


Julia diving, Steve H splashing, Steve T on shore enjoying the show.


Mid-dolphin dive.


Steve coming up.


Julia diving, Steve emerging. (I love how Steve is making the water "dome.")


Julia’s toes, Steve’s torso.

That was enough fun in the water. Steve H, Julia, and I grabbed our bikes and did a nice 20 mile spin on the hills around Square Lake.


Julia checking the route, Steve checking his tires.


Heading up the hill away from the park.


Downhill to the mini-tunnel under the train tracks.


Coming out of Marine on St. Croix.


Ready to turn with the wind.

In that last photo, we had a NASTY left-to-right wind. I was watching Steve trying to NOT get blown into Julia, but he was trying not to go out into traffic either. At that intersection ahead, we turned right (which was with the wind), and enjoyed a nice push back to the park.

Thanks for the workout Julia and Steve(s)!! I think that was the last swim before Sunday's 2.5 K open water swim in Minneapolis! It's my first event like that! Wish me luck!!

8 comments:

misszippy 6:06 AM, July 15, 2010  

Wow--that is a convoluted route there in the water! Looks like a great workout.

Tri-James 9:36 AM, July 15, 2010  

That is some straight swimming - lol

Chris and Amy 5:57 PM, July 15, 2010  

That might be the best swimsuit ever!! And holy moly Julia's shoulders look powerful!

teacherwoman 8:25 PM, July 15, 2010  

Fun! Absolutely LOVE her suit!

Majo Tinoco 7:37 AM, July 16, 2010  

I must have that bathing suit! Where did Julia get it?

GoBigGreen 9:44 PM, July 16, 2010  

SPLISH! www.SPLISH.com
I got it as a grab bag, but email them and see if they still make it. I am sure they do!!

sRod 6:26 AM, July 17, 2010  

That's a kickass swimsuit. Julia needs golden cuffs to complete the outfit.

Majo Tinoco 7:32 PM, July 22, 2010  

Thanks, GoBigGreen! I think I have to get myself one.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.