A Good 2 Weeks

>> Saturday, February 13, 2010

(BTW, if you had hoped to enter the “Gnarliest Injury Photo” contest, you’re too late. The time to submit is over, the submissions are being reviewed, and the top entries will be featured here next week so everyone can vote for their favorite. So make sure to stop back next week!)

Last week was a bit of an easier week. I swam twice, ran once, and hit the gym a couple of days. It was a good “down week.” And last weekend was when Pharmie and I snowshoed and CC skied with friends in WI.

This week, I didn’t do anything too drastic, but I was happy with some of my workouts. It was actually a pretty solid week:

Monday the 8th: lift weights.

Tuesday the 9th: 5 mile tempo run on the suckmill, and a little core. I kept building speed during this run. I ran hard, but I didn’t end at a dead sprint. I did 5.0 miles in 33:56 (6:47 / mile). Then I did a little core work before heading off to class.

Wednesday the 10th: 4 x 500 in the pool, and 35 minutes on the trainer. I knew I wanted to go for a longer swim, but it’s SO HARD for me to jump in and say, “OK, time for 40 laps. Go.” I just want to steal a noodle from an old lady bouncing around in the deep end, wrap it around my neck, and end it all. So I’ve found if I break it up into longer intervals, it’s not a problem. I did 4x500 with about 60 seconds rest in between.

Here are my 100 and 500 splits:

• 1:25, 1:35, 1:36, 1:36, 1:35 = 7:50
• 1:30, 1:35, 1:34, 1:34, 1:35 = 7:49
• 1:30, 1:36, 1:37, 1:37, 1:38 = 8:00
• 1:30, 1:37, 1:37, 1:38, 1:36 = 8:01

• 1:34.55 / 100 average.
• 7:55 / 500 average.

I felt like I was pushing hard and that it was a solid workout. When I got home, I compared those numbers to a 4x400 workout I did 2 months ago. In that SHORTER workout back in December, I was over 5 seconds SLOWER per 100 (1:39.8 average). So this was a GREAT workout! It’s so nice to see the numbers moving in the right direction!

After swimming, I had class. As so as I got home from class, Matt and Pharmie were hopping on their trainers in the basement. They teased me because I said I had done my workout for the day already. But about half way into their workout, I showed up in my bike shorts. I did the last 35 minutes with them. (We did part of the “Have Mercy” Spinervals workout.) Here we are near the end of our workout, all sweaty and glorious:


(I’m not really twice the size of Matt. There’s limited space in the basement, so we have to stagger our trainers. Mine’s just closer to the TV.)

Thursday the 11th: weights and core, then intervals at the Metrodome. Before class, I had a good session at the Y. After class, I headed to the Dome for some intervals. My heels have been feeling OK, and being I planned on doing fewer intervals, I thought I’d bust out the racing flats for some mid-winter speed! I caressed them gently, and I could tell they had missed my touch....


*spoken softy* - “Daddy’s back... shhh... Daddy’s back...”

I got to the Dome, and found Pharmie and Haley (her co-worker / friend) finishing up their run:



So my plan was to do 3 x 1500 meters (The Dome is about 600 meters around, so 2.5 laps is about 1500). Here are my times. Note that they are all “1 lap, 1 lap, 0.5 lap = total.”

• 2:06, 2:06, 1:01 = 5:14
• 1:45 rest
• 2:03, 2:05, 1:00 = 5:09
• 1:35 rest
• 2:01, 2:06, 1:01 = 5:09

• 5:10.66 / 1500 meters
• 5:33 / mile pace

I was pretty happy with those times! Pharmie took off for home and said she wanted takeout from Longfellow’s. So there was a great chicken sandwich, sweet potato fries, and chipotle mayo waiting for me when I got home!


Yum! Thanks Hun!

That meal sure beat my supper from last night: Totinos, HOW can you consider THIS a meal???


Really? I mean, REALLY?

Friday the 12th: rest. That’s triathlete-talk for “Leave me alone - I don’t wanna workout.” No, but really, I needed a day off.

Saturday the 13th: easy 1500 meter swim, and some weights at the Y. I got back from this workout a few hours ago. I bumped into Steve H and Julia in the pool. After drying off, I lifted a bit and made sure to do some leg exercises too. (A bit of leg work helps keep me in balance and injury free!)

Tomorrow I have a long run planned, and then there will be a CVA Triathlon Club workout in the afternoon!! They’re all afraid of running outside this time of year, but we’ll see if we can get any brave ones to show up for a nice 2-3 miler. I’ll be back with photos next week if it goes well!

Happy weekend!

7 comments:

Jen 12:23 PM, February 13, 2010  

I love your blog. You keep me coming back fo more!

Enjoy your weekend!

Unknown 1:33 PM, February 13, 2010  

that food looks so good, even the pizza. I think I may be hungry!
Sounds like a busy down week! Looking forward to seeing what a heavy week looks like.
Have a great weekend!

Julie 3:45 PM, February 13, 2010  

Hi Steve,
Those sweet potato fries look so good:) There is no way in hell that I could even imagine doing all of your super hard workouts!! Good job!! I hope that you have an excellent weekend Steve!!!

Jill 3:51 PM, February 13, 2010  

I was just out on my long run today and thought, "opps, I forgot to submit my banged up ankle that I kicked to death in my last marathon photo, hope it's not too late..." Yep, that's me - always too late. Oh well, maybe next round. Nice work on those 1500's!! Happy Weekend!

Coach Liz 6:23 PM, February 13, 2010  

Ok, that is really a half-assed job that someone did on that pepperoni placement on that pizza.

No gnarly photos in the contest from me. I just don't have any gnarly ones.

However, I did tag you on my blog. :0)

n/a 7:28 AM, February 14, 2010  

Funny stuff Steve. The noodle comment had me cracking up. Keep up the great training!

Julie @ ROJ Running 9:40 AM, February 14, 2010  

What is that pink shirt Pharmie is always wearing? I totally love it and want to find something like it.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.