Lesser Workouts (and a Licked Chest)

>> Saturday, August 15, 2009

The good news about a little event like last Tuesday’s “Splash and Dash” is that I make it a point to get in some quality workouts leading up to it. The bad news is that after little events like that (and a good week of quality workouts), I tend to slack off. And this week was no different.

• Monday I lifted weights and did a little core work. I really need to start doing more core exercises. I was so good about that last year, and now I’m slacking off.

• Tuesday I did the Splash and Dash. We’ll call that “speed work.”

• Wednesday I did nothing.

• Thursday I had a short swim. I didn’t have time to do much else. The good news here is that I held my fastest average EVER during a training swim! I did 1200 yards in 19:06, which is 1:35.5 / 100! I think I’ve only broken 1:40 / 100 once or twice before!

• Friday (yesterday) I did a quick 4.5 mile tempo run. I spent the rest of the day photographing a wedding, but I had hoped to get in a quick run first. I ran just under 4.5 miles - I wanted to go farther, but my heel was a LITTLE sore, and I knew I’d be on my feet the rest of the day, so I turned around a little early. I ran HARD, and finished in 26:41, which was just over 6:00 / mile. (My last full mile [which has 2 little hills to climb] clocked in at 5:43. Nice.) When I got home, I plopped down to stretch for a second, and my cat, Kermit, started licking all the nasty sweat off of me. Notice her red lick-marks when she was done:



• Saturday (today) I did a quick 18 mile ride. I wanted to go farther, but I have good excuses. I ran into a half marathon in progress (stupid runners - only joking!), and had to take some REALLY crappy trails that I don’t like to ride. I thought Goldilocks was going to fall apart! Then a few spectators and families started to fill the narrow, crappy trail. So, I joined in and started to cheer for the runners across the road from me. When I had to cross Shepard road (and the race course) to get into downtown, I stopped and cheered for a while. One lady running said the very Minnesotan phrase of “Is it hot enough for ya?” I said, “I’m not the one having to work as hard as you! Hang in there!! Nice work!”

So between the change-in-course due to the half-marathon, stopping to cheer, dodging families, and the fact that I shot a long, hot wedding yesterday, I figured it was OK to cut that workout a little short. I was just happy I did SOMETHING this morning. Early next week I’ll make a point to get in some good, long, “endurance” workouts after this week of quicker, shorter workouts.

Today, I’ll be working on (what else?) the porch. I’ll show photos of what we’ve been working on shortly. Tomorrow, it’s more of the same. I think I’ll take tomorrow off from any swim/bike/run. But today or tomorrow, both Pharmie and I NEED to get in a good long core session. Then we’ll call it a week!

As Pharmie once put it, I’m off to sniff paint in the garage! (AKA paint wainscoting.) Happy weekend!

7 comments:

teacherwoman 3:57 PM, August 15, 2009  

Seriously Steve? the licking has got to go! LOL

Anonymous,  7:22 AM, August 17, 2009  

You cat must have really been going at you!

Beth 8:32 AM, August 17, 2009  

I was surprised how tired I was after the Splash and Dash. Good luck with your core work and the porch!

Anonymous,  11:52 AM, August 17, 2009  

So you've even corrupted the cat. To think this is almost certainly only part of the story, the "tip of the iceburg," so to speak....

You're viewers shouldn't complain, however. Isn't the name of this blog something about "getting physical?" Isn't that WHY we LOOK, albeit with bated breath, and not too soon after eating? HYPOCRITE LECTEUR!

Speaking of getting physical, did you know that you have CRAZY nipples? They're unusually large for a guy (I think so, anyway), and multi-tiered. I mean, it's like you have nipples on your nipples. They positively beggar description and, a propos the cat-licks, I'll bet they're VERY sensitive. I guess if I were Pharmie, I'd be jealous of those cats, and maybe even showing them HOW TO DO IT!!!

Well, when all else fails, you can take some satisfaction in this....

Sincerely,
A DEVOTEE of you GROSS FEET, and NOW your NIPPLES too!

Carolina John 8:26 AM, August 18, 2009  

your nipples are stunningly symetric and will give me nightmares. thanks for that.

The Boring Runner 2:33 PM, August 18, 2009  

Man, I know how much home improvement projects cut into the training plan. I about killed myself off two weeks ago hanging cabinets in my garage.

Being a home improvement dork, looking forward to the pictures.

Anonymous,  12:38 AM, November 20, 2009  

It was extremely interesting for me to read the post. Thank you for it. I like such topics and anything that is connected to this matter. I would like to read a bit more on that blog soon.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.