Chilly, Slow Brick

>> Sunday, August 30, 2009

Yesterday, I headed out for a short, fast brick workout. It was only 51 degrees when I started - nice, cool August morning!! I decided I’d bike 20 miles on a somewhat hilly route, and then follow that up with a 4 mile run. Usually I do longer bricks, but I was going to do this hard and fast. (Pharmie and I are doing our last Oly Tri of the year in 1 week.)

BIKE: I never got super comfortable during the ride. It never felt “right.” I started off holding a decent pace, but as soon as I turned into the wind, it all just fell apart. I finished with a 19.6 mph average - I was hoping for about 1 mph more. Dang.

TRANSITION: I hopped off my bike, unlocked the house, put the bike in the basement, quickly changed out of my bike shorts and into running shorts, grabbed a quick drink, threw on my running shoes, and was off in under 3 minutes.

RUN: I hit mile 1 in 6:29. I hit mile 2 (the turn-around) in 6:26. Mile 3 was 6:05, and mile 4 was 5:58. I finished my 4 miler in 24:58. That was good, but more importantly, my heel felt OK! (It’s been a little sore all week, but it’s been slowly getting better. And it’s not “overuse sore,” it’s been sore from the electricity that Dr. Folske ran through it. He warned me it would feel tight for a while, but it’d feel fine while running.)

I got home and plopped on the floor to stretch. Kermit, my cat, licked all the sweat off my left side:



So my run was good, but my bike was disappointing. I know that I’m not in as good of shape as I was earlier this year - since my heel’s been acting up, I’ve been taking it easy. So next weekend’s Oly Tri will NOT be a PR, but it will still be fun!

Have a great Sunday everyone!

8 comments:

trimybest 8:25 AM, August 30, 2009  

Good luck in hudson! Make sure you rest your heel by not walking during the swim this year. :)

Regina 10:06 AM, August 30, 2009  

If taking it easy means a 5:58 mile I need to start sitting on my ass more often. Geez, that is nuts...coming from a slow poke like me.

Anonymous,  12:16 PM, August 30, 2009  

I think your idea of taking it easy and mine must be very different..lol

Good luck.

GoBigGreen 2:42 PM, August 30, 2009  

Dont be so hard on yourself. It was pretty windy saturday and so in those conditions it takes more to push into that wind. The run you did shows you may have more in those legs than you think. Swim wed with us! Good for your heel!

CoachLiz 7:17 PM, August 30, 2009  

51 degrees!!! Dang, it was 77 degrees at 6:00 a.m. before the sun came up in Galveston for our bike ride. That is late fall weather for us or, heck, even winter weather.

That whole cat licking thing does not look comfortable. Your chest looks like my arms and back when I break out in hives after eating something that I react to.

Julie @ ROJ Running 7:29 PM, August 30, 2009  

Ok that cat kicking thing has got to stop. Kidding. My dog thinks its her job to clean my face when I'm done, but that's more a salt thing than anything...or so I think. Nice work today and I', glad to hear the heel is doing better.

Kim 9:50 AM, August 31, 2009  

that is a really fast brick steve!! nice job speedy!

and your cat licking cracks me up. does it hurt?

Anonymous,  12:25 PM, September 03, 2009  

Guy, I don't know how to pose the question any other way, so....

Have you ever LACTATED???

I'll bet Kermit and I are thinking the same thing, since all DEPRAVED CREATURES are on the SAME FREQUENCY....

AREN'T THEY, BOSS???

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.