Square Lake Open Water Swim

>> Thursday, July 30, 2009

Monday, the day after the Chisago Lakes Sprint Triathlon, I just lifted weights, did some core work, stretched, and foam-rolled my legs.

Tuesday, I went on an easier bike ride. Most of the time, I ride at 95-100% effort, but this ride was around 85%. I hadn’t found my bike computer since coming home from the race (it was hiding in Pharmie’s car), so it was the first ride in a LONG time that I was riding with no information.

I did the familiar “River Road / Shepard Road / Summit Ave” loop that I like to do. I know that’s 15.8 miles. But I added on a trip across the Smith Street “High Bridge” and back. And instead of killer Ramsey Hill, I took the longer (but more gentle) route of Kellogg Ave. Mapping my route afterward told me it was about 18.36 miles. And I had hit my watch to give me an estimation of my time: I did that ride in 56:40, which would come out to be 19.44 mph if everything is accurate. Nice ride to “get the lead out.” I ended the night with a Monkey.

Wednesday had an early alarm: I was up at 5:15 to head out to Square Lake with Julia for an open water swim. I met her at the Y parking lot at 6, and we headed out to the lake with Sara and Kelly. (Both Sarah and Kelly are doing the 2 mile Lake Superior swim in about 10 days! Good luck!!)

The water was calm and the day was brisk when we got out there. We all got ready to swim: Julia changed into a “speed suit,” Sara put on her wetsuit, and Kelly and I swam just in our suits:


Julia, Sara, and Kelly

I didn’t need want to swim as long as them. We ended up swimming out to buoy #1 which was near a diving raft:



We treaded water for a moment, and then swam out to buoy #2 way the heck out there. We turned around after about 14:00. I kept up with Julia and Kelly until the first buoy - after that, they kept pulling away. Nearing shore, the ladies were all going to swim across the front of the swim area for a few laps. I thought “what the hell...” and I joined them for a lap. I ended up in the water for about 39:00, with about 60-90 seconds of that being treading water as we talked. Good swim!!

The ladies did a few more laps, and I walked along the beach. It’s this clarity that people love about swimming in Square Lake:


I apologize for the nasty, wet, matted body hair...

At most lakes in the Cities, that shot above would be dark and green. Square Lake is BEAUTIFUL for swimming!

Then, once back at the Y after the swim, I lifted a bit and did a little core work, as well as a little stretching and foam rolling.

Finally, in the early evening (after a morning of grading final projects from my summer class and then working on my porch remodel all afternoon), I did a solid 6 mile run in 38:55 (average of 6:29 pace).

Today (Thursday) I’m not doing anything physical. I’m finishing grading now, and then it’s back to the porch!

9 comments:

Jumper 2.0 12:40 PM, July 30, 2009  

I didn't realize Square Lake was so beautiful. Definitely looking forward to my first long distance race there in about 6 weeks! I'll have to try a swim there before then though.

Kris 1:15 PM, July 30, 2009  

You wouldn't happen to know of any other 2+ mile swims in the next few weeks that are in the area? I would love to get one in before Madison but it seems my schedule and opportunities aren't lining up

Julia 1:15 PM, July 30, 2009  

Wow, what a crystal clear beautiful lake! not even my swimming pool is that clear! Sounds like you've been having a fun week!

Amy - the gazelle 1:21 PM, July 30, 2009  

I am ridiculously jealous of that lake. My OWS last night was is a gross, creepy lake.

Great workouts!

X-Country2 1:22 PM, July 30, 2009  

If all OWS's were in lakes like that, I wouldn't be nearly as squicked out about them. Sounds like you have a great one up there.

GoBigGreen 1:23 PM, July 30, 2009  

Tell Kris there is a swim at Perch Lake near Hudson. I am not sure but i think it is Aug 22? IT is on the MN Swim site...the US swimming site.

Steve you did awesome! We will go next week and if you need/want more we can go around the lake.
I am just still figuring out what the bumps/red spots are doing. I am good at typing with 1 finger since my limbs are numb. Kidding.

Stefanie 1:54 PM, July 30, 2009  

That is an awesome lake. Gah I am jealous!

Unknown 4:57 PM, July 30, 2009  

That lake looks SO NICE. All the lakes around here are pretty stingy (hold the jokes on New Jersey), but the beaches aren't bad!

Jennifer,  10:55 AM, July 31, 2009  

Only a triathlete would consider working on a porch remodel as 'nothing physical'. Love it.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.