Freakin HOT Ride!

>> Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Yesterday, I tried and tried and TRIED to get motivated for a ride after getting home from teaching. I was finally ready after being home for about 2 hours of dragging my feet.

I grabbed Goldilocks (whom I haven’t touched for just over 2 weeks - since the “brake rubbing” incident during the Cannon Falls Duathlon), and I hit the road. It was HOT! The day topped out at 97 degrees! In May! In MN! And when I finished the ride around 8 pm, it was still 89 degrees!! Holy crap!

There were a LOT of people out there in the heat. I saw a granny biking in athletic shorts and a swimsuit - frankly, I saw a little too much. Then I saw a 20-something woman with great legs rollerblading in short shorts - frankly... I saw too little ...nope, nope, I’m not gonna say it. I’m not a pig. Gonna leave it alone. Be a big man Steve, be a big man.

Anyway, this was the FIRST RIDE EVER that I went up Ramsey Hill TWICE. I did a solid 30 miles, and this was the elevation chart of my ride:



A: before climbing Ramsey Hill, my average was 20.8
B: after the hill, it was 19.5
C: before hitting Ramsey Hill for a second time, my average was 19.8
D: after the hill, it was 19.1

I finished the next few miles holding onto that 19.1 average.

I passed a woman going up Ramsey Hill the first time. She passed me on the road about a mile later. That was the first time this year that I was passed on a training ride. But I had just passed her so it doesn’t count, right?

Right?...

At home, I took off my jersey, sat down all sweaty and hot, and Kermit hopped into my lap and started licking some sweat off my chest:



Then I enjoyed a Monkey Shake from 10:10 Wellness - I used 6-8 frozen strawberries, a (non-frozen) banana, and the rest of the fresh-squeezed OJ from my grandparents who just got back from AZ. Sorry for the out-of-focus shot - I was apparently too excited to drink this:



Back with some photos of me in some new digs tomorrow! I can’t wait to share!

20 comments:

duchossois 7:18 AM, May 20, 2009  

That is one NASTY hill. Great training. Now, go do a couple more repeats up that hill!

Anonymous,  7:21 AM, May 20, 2009  

Nice ride, the hill looks killer. Crazy temp for you guys too.

Jess 8:00 AM, May 20, 2009  

97?! Considering that it was, like, 40 there the other day that's quite a big difference!

Kim 8:21 AM, May 20, 2009  

that is one hot ass day, but you managed to keep that bike MPH up! especially with that killer hill. you deserve the licking and the smoothie!

Jen Rife 8:28 AM, May 20, 2009  

Nice work on Ramsey! Way to work hard in the heat!

Marlene 8:56 AM, May 20, 2009  

Yikes! That is HOT! Nice ride, especially with that killer hill x 2.

Carolina John 9:04 AM, May 20, 2009  

that looks like a tough climb. i'm in for some hill work tonight as well.

Amy 9:04 AM, May 20, 2009  

Glad to hear Goldilocks didn't disappoint. Great ride!

X-Country2 9:06 AM, May 20, 2009  

I'd make some "you got CHICKED!" comment, but that hill would kick my butt. I take it back. :o)

libgyrl 9:07 AM, May 20, 2009  

good lord, Steve, you are so much tougher than me. good job on the dagnabittin' hill... see you at WIBA!

Missy 11:12 AM, May 20, 2009  

Are all animals salt deficient!?! I swear. You can't even get through my house after a run or ride.

ShirleyPerly 2:25 PM, May 20, 2009  

So that's where the hot weather has gone? Just as I was hoping to get serious about heat training, we have a cold front dumping rain and keeping temps below 80. NOOOOO!!!!

Chic Runner 2:53 PM, May 20, 2009  

I am confused here Steve. Wasn't it JUST -0 and snowing at your house? Please explain.

ALSO, that cat picture is the weirdest/funniest/most disturbing thing ever.

Lastly, thanks for the sweet compliment about the pictures I did, I know you are photographer and the compliment coming from you meant a lot! :)

Michelle 5:33 PM, May 20, 2009  

You look cute sitting there with your cat!!!

And the monkey shake? Whats that?

Anniversary Moments 6:37 PM, May 20, 2009  

that photo looks a little sketch - if you look really fast it looks like you are wearing a cat and nothing else :)

The Boring Runner 7:30 PM, May 20, 2009  

Nice work on the hills.

When I saw that picture of you w/ the cat I threw up a little in my mouth. How did you not stick to the leather couch!?

Bootchez 8:05 PM, May 20, 2009  

Really, dude, the photo with the cat - you both look GUILTY, like you were caught in the act of doing something nasty. If I were more clever I'd have the perfect lolcats-style caption, there is a perfect one I'm sure.

Ryan 5:22 AM, May 21, 2009  

Oh you can take a picture of just about anything except a hot chick with short shorts roller blading...Come on and give the people what we want!

Lindsay 12:19 PM, May 21, 2009  

i'm pretty sure i would have hopped up the bike and walked up the hill... or, turned around :)

CoachLiz 6:51 AM, May 22, 2009  

With your black short on and Kermit sitting on your lap, it looks like you only have a cat covering up your junk. I had to do a double take on that photo!

Great ride and that looks like a crazy hill. Good luck to you and Pharmie this weekend.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.