Note To Self...

>> Thursday, April 02, 2009

These are things I need to keep in mind on Sunday during IM NO 70.3. These are more for me than for you: I think writing these out will help me keep them in mind, even though it might be more of a boring post for you. Sorry.

Swim: Take it easy. You’re good at keeping calm and cool and under control in the swim. Do that and you’ll be fine.

Bike: Ahh, yes. The big “question mark” for the day. How hard have I trained on my trainer? How will that translate to outdoor riding? (The race will be my third outdoor ride all year, and only my third ride ever on Goldilocks!) I need to keep it easy for the first half - I learned that on my 60 miler a few weeks ago. Assuming it’s calm and the wind isn’t a factor, I should shoot for a negative split on the bike - go out easy, and pick it up throughout. How hard? How much do I “pick it up?” Well, that’s anyone’s guess.

Oh, and get those calories in you while on the bike! You don’t want another “nutritional bonk” like at the Square Lake Half IM last year. EAT!! If you don’t, you can kiss your goal on the run goodbye.

First half of the run: Similar to bike: take it easy. You tend to go out just a little too hard. Hold back, make sure to eat, and hold a steady pace. Try not to walk too much.

Second half of the run: This is where it hurts. Gut it out and push, push, PUSH! Again, try not to walk too much (if I can keep it to 3 or 4 walk breaks, that’d be great). It will hurt, but you won’t die.

You WILL finish you’re third half IM (and first official IM 70.3) on Sunday!

And just between you and me, I’m hoping to try out my new “secret weapon.” Shhh... don’t tell anyone about this:


22 comments:

Maria 7:25 AM, April 02, 2009  

sounds like a good plan. good luck, i'm looking forward to reading the report...let me know where you got the biker beans!! looks like a good source of protein!

Trisaratops 8:56 AM, April 02, 2009  

GIVE ME SOME OF 'DEM BEANS!

;)

I hope I'm not riding behind you, though...WHOOOO-EY!

Can't wait to see ya tomorrow!

Marlene 9:23 AM, April 02, 2009  

Biker beans... LMAO! Who comes up with this stuff?

You have a good game plan. Now go for it!

Carolina John 9:47 AM, April 02, 2009  

ha, love lance's biker beans. that's my normal form of "performance enhancement"

Anonymous,  10:43 AM, April 02, 2009  

great plan--the beans look like they'll hurt--

X-Country2 11:36 AM, April 02, 2009  

Those New Orleans people won't know what hit them!

Good luck.

Unknown 12:03 PM, April 02, 2009  

LOL! Just make sure to change shorts in T2 if you use those beans.

tfh 12:10 PM, April 02, 2009  

It's actually very helpful to read your goals. Plus, now we can all scold you if you don't follow through! -- but you will, you're going to do great.

GoBigGreen 12:28 PM, April 02, 2009  

Good luck! IF you practiced some nutrition on the rides ( Even if they were indoors) just dont stray from that and you will be good on the run! I cant wait to hear the race report and hopefully swim with you again at the Y, not Nokomis. ICky.

Abby 2:12 PM, April 02, 2009  

Hi Steve - thanks for your note! I did Ironman Wisconsin this past year. But for the gnarly flat I got 20 miles into the bike, I had a blast. Think you'll do it again?

Ali 2:46 PM, April 02, 2009  

Good luck have a great race ... oh and a change of shorts seems like a great suggestion after those beans.

Enjoy NO

TRI TO BE FUNNY 3:30 PM, April 02, 2009  

When you finish that race, we'll finally learn why they call New Orleans, "THE BIG EASY!!" Kick some ass!

Unknown 3:37 PM, April 02, 2009  

Steve, it sounds like you are ready to rock the race - it is great to have a plan man. I am coming off my first season with indoor trainer and looking forward to seeing how it translates to the tarmac. Eat lots, but don't walk too much. Have fun and good luck.

Beth 4:30 PM, April 02, 2009  

I loved this post. It's nice to see that an athlete much faster and more experienced than I am has similar thoughts and goals. Good luck... stay away from the beans... too much fiber and you'll have to poop on the run!

teacherwoman 4:58 PM, April 02, 2009  

Good luck this weekend, Steve! I look foward to hearing all about it!

audgepodge 6:24 PM, April 02, 2009  

Hilarious pic! Good post, this will be handy as I tackle my first 65 mile bike ride this weekend.

Good luck on your 70.3!

Lindsay 8:07 PM, April 02, 2009  

good luck steveo!!

note to self... do not ride any bike event that steve is registered for! i'd fall victim to the beans!!

Heather 8:29 PM, April 02, 2009  

Good luck - sounds like you have a great strategy! Can't wait to read the race report.

Run For Life 10:08 PM, April 02, 2009  

Good luck to both you and Pharmie! Try not to scorch anyone behind you with those biker beans. :P

Judi 2:17 PM, April 03, 2009  

KILL IT STEVE!! Can't wait for the race report!

Michelle 2:42 PM, April 03, 2009  

GOOD LUCK STEVE!!

I'm rooting for you!!!

Jumper 2.0 9:45 PM, April 03, 2009  

Your secret weapon should also discourage drafting.

Good Luck Steve and Pharmie. Wish I was there!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.