The Inaugural "Speed Saturday"

>> Saturday, November 15, 2008

Well, where do we start? Oh yeah: with food. Pharmie brought home 3 pizzas last night:



So I was WELL FUELED for intervals today!

This morning, it was 30 degrees with 12-20 mph winds. Sweet. It was going to be the coldest run since last winter. Yum. So I started the day with a bowl of oatmeal. Then I packed a backpack with a boombox, a bottle of water, my camera, and some extra clothes.

Borsch showed up, and we ran down to the St. Thomas track.

We hung out for a bit and tried to stay warm in that chilly breeze. After a minute, Ryan showed up. Borsch and I introduced ourselves, and he said he saw Pharmie finish Steelhead (he finished Steelhead too), and he saw me out there cheering. Apparently, this outfit is easily remembered:


Damn, that photo STILL turns me on...

Pharmie showed up a minute later (she was on a longer run, and she met us there). After a few more minutes, Laura and Greg showed up. Finally, Jen arrived, and we had our crew!

We all started our own workouts. Borsch was doing some 600s and 200s, and Laura and Greg went along with him. Here’s Laura running by:



And here’s Greg, dancing to the music as he runs past the blaring boombox we brought:


Greg doesn’t run THAT weird, he’s just trying to “jive”
(or... umm... something...)

Ryan, Jen, and Pharmie were just out to put in some miles on the track. Ryan warmed up and did 10-15 minutes at 5K pace (sorry Ryan, I didn’t get a photo of you!). Jen and Pharmie just ran laps. Look at how synchronized they are:



I ended up running this:
800 M slightly faster than 5K pace
100 M jog for 40 seconds
200 M nearly “all out”
100 M jog for 40 seconds
Repeat for 5 intervals

Know what? Those 200s in there SUCKED - mostly because I wasn’t giving myself much rest (40 seconds of jogging). I don’t know my exact times because my watch battery died half way into the run. But it started back up, and I kept track in my head and wrote them all down afterwards. From what I figure, I ran a 2:48 average for the 800s, and a 0:39 average for the 200s.

When I finished the last 200, I collapsed in the in-field, and I snapped this photo:



Everyone wrapped up their workout and started taking off. Borsch and I weren’t done. We decided to run stairs on the bleachers:





336 stairs up, 336 stairs down, for a total of 672 stairs.

It was nice to see all of you out there today! You all made intervals fun! Let's do this again!

We headed for home, quick changed clothes, and headed out to celebrate Steph’s Birthday!! (That’s Pharmie’s sister and Borsch’s girlfriend.) We went to Longfellow Grill, and I had a HUGE breakfast burrito:



And Pharmie had the strawberry french toast:



If your interested in joining us for future workouts, let me know! Borsch and I hope to do these workouts 2 or 3 times a month for the duration of the winter. And maybe next time, I can get a photo or Borsch, too. Oops. This is the best I got (sorry Borsch!):



And one last plea: please go here and cast your vote for Steve in a Speedo! There’s only a day and a half left! I'll be back in a day or 2 to write about the workout that I hope to do in the next hour - it's gonna be sweet!

39 comments:

Shannon 3:59 PM, November 15, 2008  

suspenders are hott....

Unknown 4:13 PM, November 15, 2008  

I'm just impressed that you & borsch both survived that insanity. i think i'd be dead at the end of that workout.

Mel-2nd Chances 4:42 PM, November 15, 2008  

nice suspenders LOL. anything to make speedwork and intervals fun makes it worthwhile... awesome workout!

Kelly 5:09 PM, November 15, 2008  

I think the only thing I saw in that post was the food.

FOOOOOOD.

Viv 5:25 PM, November 15, 2008  

Me too I saw foot vs running but we all interpert art in our own way...

Charisa 5:32 PM, November 15, 2008  

Perfect day!! Nice workout photos, but the food ones rock!

Judi 5:35 PM, November 15, 2008  

i wish we were close so i could do track workouts with you guys. i hate 800's, as i just discovered them 3 weeks ago after 10 years of running. i am up to 7 800's this week. you 2:48 time is amazing. i am a minute slower.

Michelle 7:04 PM, November 15, 2008  

Hey Steve
Looks like you guys had a great time running intervals!!!

You are so going to win!! I voted for you a few times!!!

BreeWee 7:57 PM, November 15, 2008  

holly cow! That is insane, the photos make it look FUN! Fun intervals....mmm.... can I come next time!!!??? I will even dress up dorky like that photo of the 80's runner!

And okay, I will go VOTE AGAIN! :)

Have fun with the training... what are you prepping for again?! Santa Claus!?

BreeWee 8:00 PM, November 15, 2008  

oh, it must be one vote per person, I tried to vote again and it won't let me... sorry dude.

South Ridge HOA 8:11 PM, November 15, 2008  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown 8:46 PM, November 15, 2008  

That looked like a blast. It still amazes me how you can possibly eat all that stuff and it never really effects you.

Ryan 8:54 PM, November 15, 2008  

You know what man, for some reason I'm not too upset that you didn't get a picture of me. Maybe (not) next time. And thanks for having random strangers out for a run.

GoBigGreen 10:46 PM, November 15, 2008  

Awww shucks. Keep posting when you are doing these.
and I voted:) for you:)

Dori 1:02 AM, November 16, 2008  

Oh, I used to love eating at the Longfellow Grill! Good job on your speed work.

Is Borsch defiling that stairway? Naw, a runner would never void his bladder in public. ;-)

ECrunnergirl 7:08 AM, November 16, 2008  

You guys make the intervals look WAY too fun.....and oh baby!! Lovin' the suspenders :-}}

sRod 7:22 AM, November 16, 2008  

Is Pharmie wearing cheetah mittens???

Iron Girl Nyhus 8:46 AM, November 16, 2008  

Fun times! Can't wait to do it again. That picture of Borsch is great!

Frayed Laces 11:21 AM, November 16, 2008  

Your intervals are way more fun than my intervals. How can I get an interval party posse?

tri-mama 11:21 AM, November 16, 2008  

Tac and I will definitely come and do speed workouts with you this winter! Keep us posted- A large "S" beacon that shines of the St. T track seems appropriate

chia 12:15 PM, November 16, 2008  

Wish I was closer, you folks seem like you have a riot out there!

Mel's Blog.... 2:47 PM, November 16, 2008  

The food looks delicious!!! Hey, check out my blog at borntoridemel.blogspot.com

Trishie 5:13 PM, November 16, 2008  

How fun is your life?! Mmmmm I <3 a good fatty breakfast after a hard workout.

duchossois 5:29 PM, November 16, 2008  

Your 800-100-200-100 x 5 workout sounds tough. The photo of your face shows the pain. I know that pain.

Cy 6:49 PM, November 16, 2008  

Keep me posted on these track sessions. I'll need group training therapy to keep me going this winter.

PS-Love the Tomato running costume. Where do you come up with this stuff??? AWESOME.

X-Country2 7:00 PM, November 16, 2008  

Great, now I'm STARVING. Looks like a fun day of running.

rocketpants 7:21 PM, November 16, 2008  

Sounds like a great saturday spent! Lots of speed and lots of food...that is the way to go.

MissAllycat 7:29 PM, November 16, 2008  

I'll definitely be there next time!!!

triguyjt 9:07 PM, November 16, 2008  

seeing the first photo I was thinking....damn, its warm in minnesota...but I forgot it was your summer "bowl of sunshine" shot.

great workout ...

Aka Alice 9:34 PM, November 16, 2008  

We can vote more than once? I'll vote again. Your blog always makes me laugh. You do mean to be funny, right?

I think the commute to MN would be excessive...even for interval workouts that look like they're fun...ah well....

Mike 9:55 PM, November 16, 2008  

Ok - Damn you Speedo. I live in Rochester and so wanted to run with you an Saturday. I wanted to be there but I was visiting Santa instead. Please post future events! I will make one of them - I promise.

Unknown 10:36 PM, November 16, 2008  

Voted... you got this thing in the bag!

Looked cold out there, although that burrito looked damn yummy! Wish I lived closer just to get the breakfast! :)

akshaye 11:18 PM, November 16, 2008  

Cracking track workout.. You sure earned all that food!

teacherwoman 6:29 AM, November 17, 2008  

Looks like fun! I was starting to wonder if Borsch was a no sho! LOL.

Chic Runner 12:00 PM, November 17, 2008  

wow look at you go! :) That picture is just TOO HILARIOUS. You've got to be kidding me.

Sarah 12:45 PM, November 17, 2008  

You earned that burrito with the stairs. Stairs SUCK

Unknown 1:55 PM, November 17, 2008  

Great job with the interval work. My day is closing in to beginning speed work again...uhggg.

Totters 2:36 PM, November 18, 2008  

My husband and I would definitely be interested in coming to a few of the workouts! Anything to stay of the dreadmill:)

Emily 9:01 PM, December 04, 2008  

You guys have so much fun w/your workouts, I wish I could do them too!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.