Trophy Fail

>> Wednesday, October 08, 2008

I received the second trophy from Borsch’s and my win (as “Team Tighty-Whitie” at the Osceola Duathlon) in the mail today. Now, we both have one to take home. Look at how nicely they match:



So which one is “better?”

Looking at the one on the left, here are the pros and cons:
Pro: It’s taller (and I have penis inadequacy issues).
Con: On top, there’s an angel either doing the wave, or (poorly) signaling a “touchdown.”

Looking at the one on the right, here are the pros and cons:
Pro: The piece on top has a representation of run/bike/run.
Con: It’s shorter (and I have penis inadequacy issues).

So I think Borsch and I will just have to flip a coin to see which one goes home with him, and which one stays with me.

* * * * * * * * *

During the TC Marathon this past weekend, I was able to make it down to “the German House” on Summit Ave, where Charities Challenge was cheering for the runners. Gary, the founder and president of Charities Challenge, was happy to see me as a chicken, and asked to snap these 2 photos with me:


(Notice the runners and great Summit Ave homes in the background)



Gary always puts on fun events, and I hope to shoot for a new PR at a Charities Challenge 5K this Sunday at Lake Como here in St. Paul. Check back for a report on Sunday afternoon!

* * * * * * * * *

One quick last thing: an ACTUAL WORKOUT UPDATE! My knee and my heel have been feeling great lately, and I’m really happy about that, and I feel very lucky. So in the name of possibly shooting for a 5K PR on Sunday, I ran some 1600 intervals today. I’ve started enjoying doing 3 x 1600 on the track with 90 seconds rest between.

Eight weeks ago, I averaged 5:44 for those intervals.

Three weeks ago, I averaged 5:41 for the same workout.

Today, I averaged 5:36 for the same 3 x1600 workout!
(5:32, 5:38, 5:37)

Don’t get me wrong: it SUCKS running those. It hurts. My chest feels like it’s going to explode. But it does SOOO much for my speed. So we’ll see if it can bring me a PR at Gary’s event on Sunday.

27 comments:

Charlotte 11:03 PM, October 08, 2008  

It's like a magic eye trick, staring at those trophies. I can't decide which one has the longer shiny piece. And I can't decide why I care. But hey, congrats on (either) trophy!! And good luck with the PR! Those are some very impressive mile times you are putting up. I'm happy just to break 6.

21stCenturyMom 12:12 AM, October 09, 2008  

The one on the left has a taller top but a shorter base. The one on the right has a taller base but shorter top. Ergo - you and the Bishop should be happy with either! That is doubly true since whichever one you keep it represents a fabulous race!

E-Speed 5:58 AM, October 09, 2008  

dude you are running your mile splits faster than I can run one mile. Steve you are juts improving leaps and bounds every year! Glad the knee and heel are doing better!

joyRuN 6:50 AM, October 09, 2008  

GAH! You're another one of those fast ones?? Great.

;)

I like the one of the right better.

Brian 7:26 AM, October 09, 2008  

The one on the left definitely. The taller (penis envy) and the touchdown jesus can't be beat.

Jess 8:21 AM, October 09, 2008  

I think the trophy on the left is the keeper. Just think of the "angel" on top as Nike, the Goddess of Victory!

Erin Leigh 8:45 AM, October 09, 2008  

Why do they even put you through that, they just can't do 2 of the same damn trophies??

Glad you are feeling good. Kick ass on the time improvements!!

Gotta Run..... 8:46 AM, October 09, 2008  

Slow down and let us catch up before you get any faster :)

Unknown 8:54 AM, October 09, 2008  

I cant understand why they couldn't give you a set of matched trophies. That's just weird

Jess 9:00 AM, October 09, 2008  

Good luck on going for that PR!

Judi 9:09 AM, October 09, 2008  

You'll get that PR, I am sure. I need to do some track work badly. I never have before. Guess that's why I am a 9-10 minute miler! After my 50k I will start track work.

Fizzgig 9:11 AM, October 09, 2008  

clearly, the angel trophy is better. bigger is always better. no matter what you are talking about. take it and run.

Marlene 9:31 AM, October 09, 2008  

Penis issues aside, I like the shorter one.

Good luck on Sunday! Sounds like you are well-positioned for a PR!

Renee 9:54 AM, October 09, 2008  

Now Steve, it is not the size of the trophy that matters, it is how you......never mind. Good luck on Sunday!!

Aron 10:35 AM, October 09, 2008  

awesome trophies!! good luck this weekend!

ShirleyPerly 10:44 AM, October 09, 2008  

Since I have none of those issues and have seen way too many trophies like the left one for various things, I like the right one. But, whatever you decide, great to hear you're running well!!

Julianne 11:06 AM, October 09, 2008  

Bigger is better right???? Hehe.
Yes, the "touchdown" angel! Love the chicken costume, btw!

triguyjt 12:00 PM, October 09, 2008  

steve..those 1600 times are amazing.... your'e a freak

the trophy of the left..the taller one which i figure you will take because of your soldier boy complex...the angel on the left is not signalling touchdown...she is just airing out her pits

Darcy Franklin 12:39 PM, October 09, 2008  

Size DOES matter! Keep the bigger one.

Smokin' fast mile times! I might have to squeeze that workout in next week before the Monster Dash 1/2! Good luck on the PR!

Nitmos 12:44 PM, October 09, 2008  

I would go for the second trophy. I hate to be shown up by trophy in the length department.

b 2:29 PM, October 09, 2008  

You shall PR this weekend Steve! You must :-)

CoachLiz 3:46 PM, October 09, 2008  

Go for the shorter trophy with the run/bike/run emblem on top. That one is unique. I have seen lots of trophies with the waving girl/angel on top.

I have a feeling you will PR this weekend.

J~Mom 3:56 PM, October 09, 2008  

My kids have a dozen of those cheesy trophies on the left...you don't want the girl...she breaks. Trust me. Her arm will snap off or her head will roll. Go with the short one.

triblog carol 4:20 PM, October 09, 2008  

The choice of who gets the larger trophy is so easy. Just use a measuring device and, um, well I'll let you fill in the blank ___________________________

Chic Runner 5:40 PM, October 09, 2008  

Nice trophies! :) I would keep the bigger one for sure, but that's just me, and nice pics with the chicken, looks like a fun race! :) Congrats on feeling good again!

Viv 3:26 PM, October 10, 2008  

LMAO @ borsch's non complex!

Have a great race Sunday, hope you get that PR!

Michelle 8:46 PM, October 10, 2008  

Good luck this weekend! You are definitely going to PR dude!!! GO FOR IT!!!

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.