Vacation Workouts

>> Monday, July 21, 2008

Pharmie and I just spent some time with my family this weekend. We were up in Alexandria, MN staying in a cabin on Lake Mary.



We got in a few workouts. Pharmie went for a good 75 mile bike ride in some sloppy weather. She got back with some messy legs:



The next morning, we both went for a swim in Lake Mary. I started with a solid breakfast of waxy, chocolate Donut Gems and toast:



Then we got wet:



Pharmie went for about an hour, so she took off before me. I only went for 20 minutes, because next weekend’s triathlon is just a quarter mile swim (which I’m hoping to finish in around 9 minutes). When I finished my swim, I took a photo similar to XT4’s blog photo:


My photo


XT4’s original

(His lake looks bigger, and his swim cap is less "girlie." I'm "Steve in a Speedo," damn it - shouldn't my swim cap say "Speedo"?!?)

Later that day, my brother-in-law went for a bike ride. At one point, he tugged a little too hard on his bike shorts, and, let’s just say he was glad that he had gym shorts on over his bike shorts:



Injury Update:
So after the Lifetime Triathlon just over a week ago, my calf was pretty tight and sore for a few days. Sunday and Monday morning, I woke up with a nasty limp. Tuesday and Wednesday it was better (I took 5 days completely off). Thursday I had some ART, and my Doctor told me that track intervals (1600s) would be fine to do on Friday. He figured I had a little muscle strain from the swim last Saturday during the tri. So I hit the track on Friday after a little warm-up, but I only did one interval - after that, it was pretty sore again, so I figured there was no reason to push it too much.

I wanted to try to get in some speed work late last week or early this week for my tri this next weekend: the Chisago Lakes Sprint Triathlon. It’s a speedy, short little tri, so some speed work would have been nice. But it’s not the end of the world. I may try a slower, slightly longer run tomorrow (6-8 miles maybe), and I’d like to try a fast bike workout on Wednesday. Then, triathlon on Sunday! I’ll be seeing some blogger buddies out there (and hopefully meeting some new ones!). Should be fun!!

26 comments:

Mendy 3:14 PM, July 21, 2008  

The pic in the water is cool. I may steal that idea. :-)

Hope your calf heals quickly.

Lisa 4:12 PM, July 21, 2008  

Vacation workouts are the hardest. You're lucky your friends are equally committed to hitting their training sessions. My cottage visits are filled with people saying things like "but we went to the beach today! Why do you have to go swimming again?"

I hope your soreness goes away soon!

Jess 4:44 PM, July 21, 2008  

Hopefully the calf pain subsides soon!

Vacay pics look like a good time.

akshaye 5:15 PM, July 21, 2008  

Nice workouts despite being on vacation. I like the picture :)

Good luck with the sprint tri next weekend.

teacherwoman 5:22 PM, July 21, 2008  

I love that picture in the water! Too cool! Sounds like you had a great weekend!

TRI TO BE FUNNY 5:24 PM, July 21, 2008  

Wow--what a wonderful debut your bro-in-law made on your blog!! I'm sure he's thrilled :-)

Nat 6:12 PM, July 21, 2008  

What a fun weekend. Good luck this weekend...oh and happy anniversary. I really loved the She-Ra - HeeMan duo.

Kevin 6:31 PM, July 21, 2008  

Great vacation pics! Hope your calfg heals soon

21stCenturyMom 7:09 PM, July 21, 2008  

IronMomJenny is doing the Chisago 1/2 (because just doing Vineman yesterday isn't enough for her). Give her a shout out!

21stCenturyMom 7:09 PM, July 21, 2008  

IronMomJenny is doing the Chisago 1/2 (because just doing Vineman yesterday isn't enough for her). Give her a shout out!

Viv 8:28 PM, July 21, 2008  

LMAO at the bro in laws shorts. Hope the leg is as good as gold for next weekend!

KK 9:39 PM, July 21, 2008  

Good luck next weekend-I hop your calf continues to heal!

CoachLiz 9:19 AM, July 22, 2008  

I just experienced the death of a pair of bike shorts last week as well. I pulled them out of the drawer and went to put them on and heard the elastic in the waist crackle and pop. Dang! They were good Cycle Ops shorts. Nice and thin and just enough spandex to keep them from sagging. LOL

Anonymous,  11:54 AM, July 22, 2008  

Good luck this weekend!

Great pics :)

Amytrigirl (aka Amybee) 12:16 PM, July 22, 2008  

great photos! I think a red cap is not girly. Looks FAST!

Rest up that tender calf. Looking forward to reading about a very fast swim during your tri.

Gotta Run..... 12:47 PM, July 22, 2008  

Love being able to meet fellow bloggers in person. hope you are doing better now.

BTW - I like you swim picture better. :) his looks like he is in a sea of blood. yuck!!

xt4 1:21 PM, July 22, 2008  

Um, hi. I'm the guy in a sea of blood. Which is apropos since I just killed a shark with my bare hands moments before that pic was taken. Because that's how I roll. What does it say about me that people like your imitation of me better than the real thing? Sigh. Story of my life. I kind of like yours better too. Only, your head looks like you're bleeding.

:)

Erin Leigh 1:42 PM, July 22, 2008  

Couldn't you have just told us about the bike shorts incident?? LMAO.

Hope the calf feels better as the week goes on.

J~Mom 3:03 PM, July 22, 2008  

Mmm...chocolate wax donuts!!

brendaj 10:37 PM, July 22, 2008  

It looks like you had a nice relaxing vacation!

Alisa 2:20 PM, July 23, 2008  

Working out on vacation is always a struggle...I commend you for getting some in!

Jade Lady 4:44 PM, July 23, 2008  

The lake looks so inviting! Hope the calf will be doing better soon.

Smithposts... 6:28 PM, July 23, 2008  

All in all, it looks like a fine vacation! If my memory is correct, red is considered a "power" color so imagine the bright red swim cap as intimidating...or something like that. Might not want to couple the red cap with the "bowlful of sunshine", could produce mixed signals.

Judi 3:20 PM, July 24, 2008  

Have a good race this weekend.

C 5:27 PM, July 24, 2008  

It's like playing Russian roulette every time I click over to your blog. What kind of photos will Steve show today? Today--jackpot! :)

LMAO at the 'sealed for freshness' on the donut bag. Gotta keep that 'fresh' waxy taste for as long as possible.

And I love xt4's comment above. Good sir, you are indeed a badass!

triguyjt 9:09 PM, July 24, 2008  

vacation means lots of donuts...


ummmm ummm ummm

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.