Staying Active

>> Friday, November 16, 2007

Although I’ve mostly been posting random, barely-triathlon-related things lately, I AM still trying to keep my good base for the 2008 season. I’ve been lifting weights 2-3 times per week, doing my leg exercises, and trying to get it a swim/bike/run a few times a week.

On Tuesday, I ran 1-mile intervals; on Wednesday, I went mountain biking; and on Thursday, I ran a 5.5 mile tempo run.

On Tuesday, I felt like being speedy. I’m running a 5K in Como Park on Thanksgiving morning, and I’m TRYING to see if I can break 19 minutes (and maybe be in the top 5% of finishers). So on Tuesday, I ran four 1-mile intervals. I wanted to run them faster than my 5K pace (under 6 minute miles). I started a new mile every 10 minutes, so the faster I ran, the longer break I got. Here were my interval times:

Mile 1: 5:59
Mile 2: 5:36
Mile 3: 5:42
Mile 4: 5:40

Sweet, I’ve got some speed left. Let's try to break that goal next Thursday...

And then the next day, Wednesday, I finished teaching for the day and headed out to Theo Wirth Park to do some single-track riding. That’s right folks, mountain biking! I hadn’t been out on a MTB ride in over a year. I was itching to get out. In fact, dare I say, I would like to fit in an “Xterra-style” off-road triathlon during my 2008 season. Anyone know of any good ones in or near Minnesota? I think there’s an official Xterra in Michigan, but that’s still quite a drive.

Anyway, as I loaded up my bike, some white crap started falling from the cold, cloudy sky. I got to Theo Wirth and unloaded:


Oops, I cut off my head a little.
That’s what I get for using my car as a tripod.

For the entire ride, there was a light, light snow. It wasn’t a problem. I had a blast! I rode the B loop and the A loop each once, plus about a mile or so of partially paved/partially dirt track out to the loops and back. Parts of each loop are fairly technical, but nothing that was beyond my skill level. I logged a total of about 6.5 miles on the day.

When I got back to my car (after breathing all that 40 degree air), I launched one of the first (and best) snot rockets of this winter riding season:



I hope you were eating.

Yesterday, on Thursday, I had a nice 5.5 mile run. My stomach wasn’t feeling too well, so I started easy. I kept building so that my last 3 half-mile times were 3:32, 3:26, and 3:05.

Today...well, today is a different story. This morning I went to the Children’s Museum in Downtown St. Paul to be part of an “Advisory Board” for designing upcoming shows at the Museum. It was basically a 4 hours brainstorming session among 6 different creatively-minded people. No physical activity. But there were pastries. And cola. And donuts. Tues, Wed, Thurs I was good. Friday...bad Steve.

The fun part was that I got there extra early and was able to roam around the museum before it opened to the public. That was SWEET! First, I learned how the water travels through our city:



Then, I learned how conveyer belts make some peoples jobs easier:



Then, THEN, I found the giant crane:



I moved all kinds of beams! I put this one in the truck all by myself!



Then I dumped it out of the truck. Finally, and maybe my favorite part of the day, I was in an Ike and Tina Turner music video:



Freakin’ sweet! Then I had to take a little nap because I was getting over stimulated. When I woke up, Mom changed my diaper because I had made a little poopy. I wanna go back! I wanna, I wanna, I wanna!!

16 comments:

Danielle in Iowa in Ireland 12:43 PM, November 16, 2007  

Ah gees, I was totally eating!

And you must have been wearing your special underpants during those speedy miles!

Tracy 12:45 PM, November 16, 2007  

ONLY you would take a picture of a downed snot rocket. Je. Sus. But at least you made up for it with the way cool museum pics, that place looks like it rocks!

Um, and holy crap you're frickin fast. I think you're a cyborg. Who makes snot.

Unknown 12:57 PM, November 16, 2007  

Why I was eating lunch, thanks for asking. I'm a nurse though so it didn't phase me. We spend most lunch hours talking about diahhrea.
Sounds like you had a blat on the MTB.

Spandex King 1:03 PM, November 16, 2007  

Funny!! The snot rocket looked like some ancient Egyptian deer head on a cave wall.

In the future we would be willing to take your word for it and not need to see a picture.

Marcy 2:39 PM, November 16, 2007  

Dude, that snot rocket looks like something else if you ask me :P

Wedgie 3:43 PM, November 16, 2007  

I can't believe I'm going to say this... I'd rather see the hair photos.

Rainmaker 8:15 PM, November 16, 2007  

I like your single mile interval schedule idea with on 10 minute shots. I'd been doing 400m x 10 times - which has helped, but I like going a longer distance for faster than I could run a 10K tempo run. I'll give you're workout a shot next week sometime.

And yup ) I agree with Spandex King - it does look like a deer.

teekayes1 12:22 PM, November 17, 2007  

Speedy Gonzales strikes again!

bigmike600 9:03 AM, November 18, 2007  

Yeah. You sure that was a snot rocket?

You are really fast runner. Those times are impressive. My prediction is 18:47 for your 5K. We should get a pool going.

Nat 11:17 AM, November 18, 2007  

Oh. God. You are gross. I'll be looking for you at some of the races around town, I know I won't miss you if you have those knee high socks on that you've worn at other races.

Fe-lady 12:42 PM, November 18, 2007  

Yeah for the mountain bike ride and thoughts of Xterra! Did you check last years race schedule to see if they had anything close to you? Chances are the race will be held again. 08 calendar should be out next month! Very cool!

Allez 11:43 AM, November 19, 2007  

It looks like the virgin Mary. no, not really. But that would be funny, wouldn't it?

triguyjt 3:04 PM, November 19, 2007  

Who were you, Ike or Tina??

Nice speed on the intervals.

SingletrackJenny (formerly known as IronJenny) 6:48 PM, November 19, 2007  

That's way too fast. Way, way, way too fast.
That's twice as fast as I am!!!!

Anonymous,  8:50 AM, November 20, 2007  

Good luck with the 5K...I think you'll break 19! You are FAST!

Snot rocket...oh.my.gosh! :0

Wes 11:38 AM, November 20, 2007  

LOL @ Wil... You are a rocket!! That 5K PR is already whining. Happy Thanksgiving to you and the Pharmster, and yes, I was eating. Thanks.

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! Have a great day!

Twitter

Follow steveinaspeedo on Twitter

Facebook Fan Page

All content and original images copyright 2006 - 2024 by Steve Stenzel, AKA "Steve in a Speedo." All Rights Reserved.
Want to use something seen here? Just ask - I don't bite.